I Forge Iron

Basic tools

Hi Smith93, good to have you aboard. You're gonna like it here :D

One thing, click the UserCP button on the menu bar and fill in your location on your profile section so we know where you're from. Chances are someone on this forum may be nearby and can offer more help.

Now on to your question ...
Blacksmithing can get pretty pricey, especially as you get more skilled and want more tools and toys :D

But you can start on the basics with a pretty small kit.
The absolute necessities are ...
a fire
an anvil
a hammer
a pair of tongs
a quench tub

Fire - For your forge, there are lots of options ranging from a charcoal ground fire all the way up to a propane forge with everything imaginable inbetween. There have been lots of threads on IFI about building first forges and inexpensive forges so take some time and cruise the forums. Don't forget that you are going to need an air supply (bellows or blower) with your forge

Anvils - This could be a bit difficult depending on where you live. The thing with anvils is that the heavier they are, the better they work, but you cab still start off with a small anvil as you learn the basics. But a good sized anvil is an investment in this craft, so if you don't have the resources yet but really want to advance in your skills, start saving away a bit at a time for when you can afford one. Now the question of what size to get is different for every blacksmith. Some who do this as a carreer may swear by nothing smaller than 300lbs. For me and what I do, I do just fine with an anvil around 120lbs. So ask around before you commit to shelling out the big bucks.
To start learning on, there are legions of blacksmiths who have cut their teeth on nothing more than a chunk of railroad track, or a pile of scrap steel plates welded together. On a previous thread, someone posted that the company Old World Anvils will sell scrap steel blocks from their production line (called drops) for around $50.00 + shipping. This is a fantastic deal if they are still offering it because this is good steel and the blocks are pretty big (I believe they ranged from 5x5x12 up to 7x7x12). Any of these blocks would make an excellent block anvil (like the ones used by knife-makers and swordsmiths) and you may never need to buy another anvil again.

Hammers and Tongs - By the time you're done with this game you will probably have a raft of hammers and tongs. Start off with one that is a comfortable weight and size for you. I started off with a 1.5 and 2 lb cross pein hammers that I still use to this day. Check out flea markets and used tool dealers. I think that when you're starting out, the pattern (style) of the hammer isn't all that important yet - as you learn more skills, then you specialize.
Tongs are another matter. Like hammers, there is a wide selection of tongs - each one for a speciffic purpose so it's hard to nail down one all-purpose design. I have heard of smiths starting out with a pair of pliers for tongs, but for me personally, I don't like getting that close to the fire. My suggestion would be a pair of 3/8" square bit bolt tongs. The square bit will hold square stock and round stock (in a pinch) and with that size of stock, you can learn to make yourself more tongs in specialized styles. Again, scope out the flea markets, used tool dealers and auctions. If you're looking to buy new, there are lots of people on this forum who make and sell tools. I've bought tongs from Glen Stollmyer at GS Blacksmith Tongs ( GS Blacksmith Tongs ) and they are excellent.

Quench - any bucket or large container will do. I recommend staying away from plastics - but metal buckets, half a whiskey/wine barrel, or an old washtub will do fine.

Well, that's what I know in a nutshell. I've likely forgotten lots of stuff, but someone will likely scoop up the ball and post some other useful nuggets. You've already done the most important thing in starting out in this craft - you asked a good question. Keep it up and have fun with it.
If the hammering ain't fun - don't do it.

Sam
-btw, do you go by any other name other than Smith93? :)