I Forge Iron

dangers of Blacksmithing during pregnancy

My wife is 2 months pregnant and would like do a little smithing with me in my new smithy. She has followed courses before. We are using a coal forge and regular steel. Is anybody aware of possible risks / hazards related to pregnancy ? I am planning to have her out of the smithy while I light up the fire and do other stuff that produces smoke. I don't see how the usual heating and hammering could be risky, but I am wondering...

The smoke may be an issue for the baby without proper ventilation. However, it shouldn't be the same as smoking is, as she wouldn't be directly inhaling the smoke in large amounts.

If she's in shape for it, then she should be okay with things other than the smoke. I would suggest talking to your doctor though.

As with anything, common sense prevails, only a doctor who knows you and your general state of health can really advise you (your wife rather).

Having said that, I looked into this a while ago and concluded that general Blacksmithing was ok, heavy lifting to be avoided, exposure to welding fumes should be avoided also as with paint fumes. Yes, I would also avoid the heavy coal smoke.

If you do let your wife into the smithy pregnant, your new child will never let the sound of the anvil out of its life:D

Kinda like kids and trains. Something I always have fond memories of when I hear a train in the distance.

Or for that matter, hearing an anvils ring off in the distance:)

Something comforting in that sound