I Forge Iron

IH baler knotter

I have an International Harvester (I'm a God fearin hard workin...:D) number 37 twine baler that has bent knotters. I ordered new knotters but when I drove 1 hour, one way to get them, the parts guy said he ordered the wrong one! He ordered the wire knotter instead of the twine knotter. The wire knotter was a steep $113 a piece, but the twine knotters were a vertical $220 a piece! Is this something I can heat up and bend back to it's propper position/shape? Does anyone have one of these balers, and if so a picture of the knotters?

I have the original owners manual, but there is only a sketch of the knotters!

Any help appreciated!
Thoughts???

Dave

I have a JD baler so can't help on the sketch but I would be cautious about heating and bending as these parts are hardened and tempered for heavy work. Too soft and they'll bend; too hard and they'll break.

OTOH, I'd try Ebay and some of the antique tractor websites before spending the cash to get those from the dealer. Somebody might be able to pull a set off an old machine for a lot less than new ones.

Thanks for the advice! We are completely new to the baler hay making stuff so we have no idea how any of it works. The guy that we bought the baler from said the knotters were bent. However, upon furthur investigation it seems that they might be ok after all! PRAISE THE LORD!

Dave

I don't know much about balers except what they are used for.:rolleyes: However I have several IH Farmall tractors and I Search for Parts on the Case/IH website quite often when looking for parts and their interchangeability. It's fairly easy to use; Open the above link, then click the "Right Here" link in the middle of the page. This will open a new window where you can search for the parts manual. Just type in baler in the search box and it will bring up a long list of baler manual that you can look at. I'm guessing that your is the one listed as the "37 International Harvester Rectangular Baler".

This will give you a parts break down as well as pictures of the part(s). You can even print the picture and parts list out.

Good luck and Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

Being an Ag-mechanic I am familiar with your problem. I have bad news... if the knotter is worn out (and yes they are supposed to eventually wear out so the next, more expensive piece doesn't) then you will have to cowb oy up and but new. An old baler will have the same worn out parts as yours. Follow your manual closely and and pay attention to the timing on the baler, particulalry the stuffer. Yours should have timing marks scribed on the critical parts to help you.
Good luck