I Forge Iron

Newbie Anvil Pics

Hello, My name is Mike and I recently visited a relatives farm in Upstate NY. This anvil caught my attention, since I never had seen one in person, and I brought it home.

I cannot see any obvious markings or stamps. Was sitting on dirt upright. I guess it fell or whatever on the backside but for me it's a keeper.

I went to my library to request Mr. Postman's book to help identify it. Might be a couple weeks before I get the book so I figure I share it here. Thanks for any input.

Mike.

14531.attach

14532.attach

14533.attach

14534.attach

14535.attach

First, welcome to IFI.

Second, are you going to use it or just identify it. Its a beauty and would well and truely get you going. Looks like someone has jammed something too hard into the hardy hole and broke the end off. No problem, you can set up a "hardy hole" on another stump for when you get that far.

If you are going to have a go at forging then lots of time spent in the Metalworking Lessons off the front page would be a great investment of your time.

Welcome aboard Mike, glad to have you.

There are a couple things you can do to help bring out any markings on it. You can do a pencil rubbing with a piece of paper and a soft pencil.

You can rub it with chalk and then wipe it off, chalk will remain in the markings.

You can set up a camera on a tripod so it can't move then aim light at an oblique angle across the side of the anvil and take a pic. Then move the light to the other side and set it at an oblique angle and take another pic. If you use two contrasting color lights this will work even better, say red and green.

Now it's possible that just having the oblique angle on the lighting will bring the marking out well enough to read, if not overlay the two pics using photoshop, etc. this will more than double the resolution of any details like markings.

It doesn't look to be in bad shape other than having the heal broken off, it'd make a fine working anvil. I hope you get many years of use out of it or put it in the hands of someone who will use it.

If you'll click "User CP" at the top of the page and edit your profile to show your location it can make a big difference. IFI is represented by members from more than 50 countries and a lot of info is location specific. Also if local folk know you're there they can invite you to gatherings, tip you to tool deals and offer hands on help.

Frosty

Thanks for the welcome. I'm not really looking to get into metalworking as I already retired from a tool & die career. Like some, I thought it was a unique find for me and I probably will look at it more than I will use it.

I found it near Amsterdam, NY & it came home with me to Chicago. Is there anything I should not do to change it's condition? (i.e. sandblasting, chemicals?) Thanks for any input.

Edited by fiberop1

It looks to me like an early Fisher-Norris, but I can't see a logo where there should be one (pic. #4) The shape of the horn, (remnant of) heal, and the hole below the heal that was used to clamp in a fixture and grind the horn are all there. (hole visible in pic #5) Some of the Fisher logo's were probably cast more shallow than others, and may have rusted away more or less.

I have one.

14537.attach

Thanks GM that does look pretty close. The 24 inch mark goes to the forward edge of the square hole on the top.

I tried to get a better pic of that same side but hard to tell if anything is there.

Any guess to what year and what this weighs in at? I weigh 220 & it bent the 2x6 more than me sitting on it when I moved it from the van.

I am just looking for insight. I have no plans to sell it. Obviously it's busted so what! I am new to finding relics like this so I am just asking help. Thanks, Mike.

14546.attach

Edited by fiberop1

I’m at work and my “Anvils in America” is at home. I remember reading that there were various versions of the cast logo, but I can’t answer from memory what yours would indicate, age-wise. I definitely think I can see the outline of an Eagle in your latest pic. Maybe someone here who has the book can look this up.

While the heal of this anvil is damaged, it is still quite useable. Min is missing 50% of the horn. The shiny part you see in my pic was a poorly-executed repair. This I removed when I was cleaning the thing up. I still love my Fisher. Working smiths could use the tool you have acquired for another hundred years!
Your choice.

Fiberop1, it does look like there is the remains of an eagle logo. Another test, I don't think you have mentioned, is if the anvil rings or not. If it does it is not a Fisher. If it has a thunk sound with great rebound off the face my bet would be a Fisher.