I Forge Iron

doorstop designs

I am wanting to forge a doorstop for our bathroom door. I have forged the towel bar brackets, the paper holder, and some clothes hooks for this room and I want to keep the hand-forged theme going. I've never seen a smith-made doorstop so I am struggling to imagine one. I have the germ of an idea for a wall mounted springy thing but I'd like to see some that others have made if anyone here has done them or seen them elsewhere. Does anyone have ideas or examples to share.

If you are going to attach it to the wall, then look at some of the old Shutter Dogs in the books. You slide the door past, and then swing the "dog" down to hold it in place.

The only real problem is having to physically spin that "dog" back out of the way to close the door. Making one end slightly heavier would keep it hanging straight up/down. But then the door's weight would hold it in place when turned horizontal - if not TOO heavy.

The hardware stores do have those spring C catches for screen doors. When placed right, a simple push will click/hold it open. Yet a simple pull will also then release it.

Sorry. I don't have any pics scanned in on these ... infernal machines.

Just a few humble thoughts to share. Take them as such.
Mikey - that grumpy ol' German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

I know what it's like to start a ... theme ... in a bathroom. For one couple, Jay and I went and did a series of Grapevine items. It started with a frame for the mirror and medicine cabinet. Then towel bars and robe hooks/hangers. And then they wanted a free-standing TP holder to fit into the same style/theme.

Well, we got a bit carried away with that holder. We used 1/2 round, textured it, did a spiral base, and then curved it all up and over on top. Then we added smaller "tendrils" down to hold the TP wood dowel (wedge fit or modern spring loaded plastic), with a large grape leave draped over the top of the roll, and several more leaves and tendrils up and off of the sides. Yeah, we got carried away and exceeded the original quote. But when the couple saw it, Jay explained our "error", and how we could make another to the original quote but this particular one would run a little higher. She loved it and would not leave without it. And that greatly relieved Jay - who's wife had seen it and really really wanted it for their bathroom! But she did start to roll her eyes when Jay and her husband started to talk about bending this leaf up and out a bit to hold a beverage container, and that leaf up/out a bit to hold a cell phone, and slightly tweaking that top leaf to hold a magazine. SHE stopped any further discussion of HER tp holder!

So starting a ... theme ... can be good. But it also has its hazards. Sorry, I don't have any pics, but Jay does -- somewhere. Just another of those many projects he never got pictures of posted on his web site. At least the last time I heard or looked. Big River Companies

So it goes.

Mikey - that grumpy ol' German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands