I Forge Iron

axe from a pipe

hey guys i just joined and im fairly new to blacksmithing, about 5 months, but ive learned a lot recently and wanted to try my first hatchet head and i wanted to make it out of pipe so i could just fold it around, i dont feel im ready for driving a punch through to make the eye yet. but my question is should i forge weld the whole pipe to make a solid bar? and if so when im forge welding the pipe should i powder the top or inside? and will i have any problems with trapped air when i flatten the pipe? thanks for the help guys!

umm as a fellow new guy i would go for punching and drifting. pipe does not have enough carbon for an edge, and forge welding is a challenge. good luck but just punch and drift a hefty bar of medium or high carbon steel. make hooks and tong racks (they come in handy and are easy to make). good luck.

Welcome aboard, glad to have ya.

Use bar. Do NOT use pipe, way, WAY more hassle than it's worth.

Slitting and drifting is harder than forge welding for some folk and visa versa. Try practicing both till you decide which method you want to use. Forming hammers are good practice projects and will come in handy.

Frosty

If you've done smaller stuff work your way up with a couple practice pieces. Outside of the size of the hammer and how hard you have to swing it isn't any different.

Of course bigger hammer and harder swing means it takes better control but having to do better this time than last is what it's all about.

Frosty

if you are comfortable forge welding but not punching a large bar, why not just make a wrap around type of socket?

get your bar of steel, say a large rasp for example, thin a length and bring it around on itself. Then weld up anything that isn't going to have a handle through it. You could do teh same with a length of mild and sandwich a tool steel piece in for the cutting edge.