I Forge Iron

worping need help

Alaska

details please :rolleyes:

are you getting warping when heating, cooling, quenching, tempering, etc?

are you normalising the steel after forging?

Are you working unevenly on the steel (working solely on one side of teh balde will cause warping)?

give us info! :D

maybe because it happened when ya did that thing? :rolleyes:

The are many reasons for warping, from built up stress in the metal to bumping it while heating in the coals. Give us complete information, and you can get more accurate information about what is going on.

it is when I am quenching and yes I am normalising
thinking about it I have been just a bit stressed it may have something to do with it
just may not be getting something but should have soon time to work on it

not YOUR stress. internal metal stress Edited by steve sells

I am forging with coal and charcoal and some times wood but that day it was charcoal
rail road spike
I quench most the time in water for a rail road spike to get them hard

and it is my stress and may have forgot something I do not think I did but ?

going to be working with a lot more 5160 just got 500# of it and will go back to oil quenching then

it was a hot day and I do not forge a lot on hot days

I still don't know enough about how you treated it to guess why it warped, there are a lot of possibilities. Just because it's mild steel doesn't mean it won't warp under many different conditions. Heck, the cause may have happened before you got it.

Regardless, being mild you can straighten it without annealing, normalizing, etc. maybe even cold. If it's twisted you can try putting it in a vise and use a wrench.

If it's bowed try a wood mallet on a wood block with a hollow. This works very well hot too. Wood won't damage detail or change cross section so your finish forged details won't be damaged if it has some mass to it. Things like horns, thorns, leaves, etc. will of course be bent and maybe damaged even by wood on wood.

Frosty

• 2 weeks later...

Messerist, I think that quenching to the magnetic noth is an idea from the same people that send you after angle streachers and board strechers. ;)

Seriously, warping comes for stress that are residual in the blade and/or quenching so that one side cools faster than the other.