I Forge Iron

first folding knife

hello everyone, this is my first try at making a folding knife which I finished this past winter. The blade is forged steel the liners are brass and the handle is made of maple. I made a ballbearing detent to lock the blade in the open and closed positions. The blade length is almost 4 inches long with an overall length with handle at alittle over 8 inches. I appoligize in advance if the pics don't come up right, this is my first try at posting pictures on the internet.

14206.attach

14207.attach

14208.attach

14209.attach

Thanks alot new guy! I took 2 slabs of maple and lightly glued them together. I then traced one of the brass liners with a pencil and cut out the shape on a bandsaw. I then contoured both sides of the wood to equal shape. I had to figure a way to attach the wood to the liners since the only thing holding them on would be the pivoting pin, so I found some brass tack nails laying around so I drilled a series of holes down the back portiong of the liners and the handles and basically riveted the handles on. After the holes were drilled, I then took a small wood chisel and broke the two glued handles apart. The hole above the pivoting pin was supposed to be a place for me to push down on the ballbearing to unlock the blade, however the handles were too thick and the pivoting pin was too close to this hole, however it now serves as a lubrication point instead to keep the blade running smooth. If you guys have any more questions, just let me know! ;)

New guy, I started about 6 years ago, a good friend of mine is a blacksmith that used to make knives and swords for medieval shows. He said if I wanted to learn blacksmithing, he would show me so I started to learn. Before I ever did blacksmithing, I always had an interest in how knives were made, which helps when I want to make one.

Has anyone noticed that the cameras we have today take photos with the background in perfect focus and the subject just out of focus. Woo Hoo is that progress or what?!

I had to take two years of photography to learn to do that. this is called progress. :rolleyes:

Nice knife.

Frosty

• 6 months later...