I Forge Iron

Shipyard

andgott

We've been busy at the shipyard, getting some routine work done-

They are changing out some buckets on the Wheels, our main reason for visiting-

To give you an idea of scale, the scaffolding is about 7' high...

We knocked a good chunk off this one- About 10" or so. It happens every year in the ice-

A couple of others that are in the yard for layup/repairs-

14214.attach

14215.attach

14216.attach

14217.attach

I could scrounge all day in this place and never get my fill- There are racks and racks of steel everywhere-

Just all the various scrap lying around here and there could keep me busy at the forge for a lifetime... Most everything is pretty well identified, too- They write the grade of steel on everything so they know what is what. Ship construction & repair requires approvals, and they have to know what grade of steel they are using!

And, Since the Great Lakes is one of the last places you'll find riveted ships, There are literally PILES of these small rivet forges-

Along with bins containing 1000's of rivets in various sizes... Hmmm- I wonder what kind of steel ship rivets are made of??

Too bad I'm so far from home- I think I'd have a full suitcase if I didn't have to fly :)

-Andrew

14218.attach

14219.attach

Edited by andgott

USPS flat rate boxes, no weight limit for $10.30 US... Use the FB2 its is longer and larger and good for rivets..... I love rivets...lotsa rivets....

Good Luck!!!

As luck would have it, I picked up a couple of Flat Rate boxes this morning- I have some fossils to ship home. But- They aren't going to FILL the box... I need packing material, too :)

And these are BIIIIIG rivits- Non smaller than 1" dia, and anywhere from 2" to 10" long...

-Andrew

Frosty, forgot that part, but unless the box is full to the brim, you'll never get 70 lbs into it even with steel... unless its stacked sheet.... 3 by 11 by 19....hmmm carry the 1 .... ****** heavy!!

WOW 1" rivets?! how big an air hammer does it take to head those over??

now what could I do with a 1" or larger by 11" long rivet..... hmmmm... the possibilities boggle the mind....

BTW beautiful pics..... did one of those screws run aground or is it ice damage??

Edited by steve sells
Language

BTW beautiful pics..... did one of those screws run aground or is it ice damage??

It's ice damage... We have to head in every spring to get a couple of the buckets replaced.

The USPS has also raised the rate on the boxes to $13.95!

I like how Michigan is out of Indiana. LOL

1" x 11" rivet....Oh the possibilities. If usps is being dumb ( as they want to be ) Fed-ex will get it done for you. If it was next month, I'd be down in IN instead of MN and could pick up and ship what ever you wanted me to...

Look out for large punchouts, I once bought some 6" dia in 1/2" steel that came from a shipyard made nice dishing forms as they have the curve you get with a paper punch on paper.

CBrann; I had a 68# flat rate box that was two pieces of round stock and there was still room for more. Box arrived in shreads and the post office told me it was above 70#---I told them it weighed 68# when it was shipped! (might have been the massive ammounts of strapping tape that had been applied as the box disappeared) For largish pieces of steel it is always a good idea to have labels on the individual pieces inside the box as well as the outside label. I lost a shipment of real wrought iron through the USPS I hadn't individually labeled.