I Forge Iron

Metal Bracket

Well, I got the go-kart out now that it's time to start driving it again, and last year, my brother tried to fit the kart between two trees and bent the front brackets that hold the tires in place to the steering system. The part where the tire attachs to the cart is perfect, the bracket is obviously out of place.
My question is, how do I fix this? I have three options I think, lemme know about any others or how you would fix this.

1) I could heat the bracket up with a torch, and straighten it out with the post vise and anvil.

2) I could grind it off, straighten in forge, then re-weld on.

3) Grind off, and get new metal, grind it to shape, then HT so that it won't bend. Then re-weld.

Are there any problems with the above? Note, the heat should not be a problem because of the wheel rim that protects the wheel on the back.

Second, I don't really know if this matters or not, but when I go full speed, the belt slips in the the wheel, and it gets ripped up/ worn out very fast, like one month. The belt & go-kart is supposed to last 6 months. I don't really care, it's just a pain to have to take it off and replace it every month. Also, if this helps any, the wheel is to pieces. The right side is solid and does not move. However, the left hand side is spring loaded, which is why that moves, because the belt digs in more because it's going faster. So is this a problem? Should I just tighten the bolt on the end of the wheel so that the spring becomes less effective?

14096.attach

14097.attach

14098.attach

14099.attach

14100.attach

well i have to pick my brain havent had a gokart in 30 years the spindles i had on mine back then were just hot rolled stock i woud take the spindle out of the wheel and heat it with the torch and hammer it back in to shape i bent mine several times and straightend them back you could do a heat treat on them but i never did as for your belt drive you should check with the maker of the drive system and see if the adjustment are corect you may have a bad spring in there thats not giving enough presere on the belt it shouldn't slip if it is theres the reason its burning the belt up

1. Just put it in the vise and straighten it with a wrench as best you can then finish it on the anvil with a hammer.

2. I doubt you can heat treat mild steel, unless it is some of that new mini-mill steel that has a high carbon content, and you have to ask yourself would you rather have it bend or break if you do successfully heat treat it.

3. Check for a worn out pulley, that will make a belt slip and tear it up quicker than anything.

4. Remove the tire and wheel so you can see what you are doing and allso lighten it up so you can handle it easily.

Just straighten it out. No heat treat, better to bend it than break it.

Check out snow machine (snow mobile for you lower 48ers) type torque converters. They're adjustable and alignable yours may be out of alignment instead of loose. You may have a loose or worn motor mount that allows the motor to move at high speed.

My bet is the spring is weak and needs tightening or replacing but there are other things to check as well.

Frosty

Those torque converters are pretty much maintenance free. Check out the Comet website for assembly. The usual reason is misalignment or out of adjustment. Belt may be too loose.

Could be the pre-load spring on the driven pulley is worn out or maladjusted(There are usually 3 holes to allow for different preload weights) causing the sheave to engage at too low RPM for how you use it. ie driving on hills engaging for top end too early for the load.

We just fixed our torque converter, and have to fix the carb. Gokarts are fun, but a PIA when needing work. Just piddly little problems seem to plague you.