I Forge Iron

Need help with a chandelier

I've gone an committed myself to making a chandelier for a family I know. I've previously made then a pot rack and now they want a chandelier, and it has to be electric. That is where the problems come in. Are there any codes I need to be aware of? Where can I find the lighting fixtures I will need? What don't I know about yet? So far this thing is just a blurry image in my mind but something will have to shape up pretty soon. Any one been there and done that? The only chandelier I've built so far had candles for lighting.

there are two ways to go ... get a electician that is willing to wire it and give you directions on what he needs or ... sell it to them unwired and let them do the wireing otherwise your takeing on a liability that can haunt you years later ...one of the shops i deal with uses option #2 with custom looking lighting they are getting from mexaco.... good luck!

just for the record it is not legal to wire a lamp fixture, unless you have it UL listed, which is very expensive, I know people do it all the time. BUT if something ever happens the person responsible for the wiring or selling it wired will be the one who could be sued. Should you worry about it?? I don't know a lot of people do house wiring illegally and it doesn't bother them. I would guess the way around it would be to sell it unwired, or possible go with low voltage??
just an info packet.

You are stepping into a world of liability exposure with this one.

When I do any kind of electrical lighting fixtures [and I have done quite a few ] I do all the metal work and take it to a UL certified shop for wiring and certification. I deliver the piece and hang it, ready for a licensed and bonded electrical contractor to make the final electrical connection.

This is not a cheap process, if your clients won't expand the budget enough to do it properly and legally, your best course of action is thank them for their interest and refuse the commission.

In most states, you must be licensed, bonded and insured as a specialty contractor to install any kind of custom metalwork on site. Most general contractors will not allow you to set foot on a job without a valid up to date certificate of insurance on file.

Even if you only manufacture a piece and do not install it, you still are exposed to product liability .

This is just one of those aspects of the craft that doesn't get much attention, but should. There is a whole lot more to blacksmithing [particularly as a business ] than just just making beautiful things in iron.

I spend well over $2000 a year on insurance for my fulltime smithing business in addition to all the other overhead. When people on this forum want to know how much to charge for their work, all of these other costs need to be factored in.

Good luck.

my $.02 on it
even if the people you are doing it for are really good friends or family and they say they wont sue remember people can die from the invisable killer (electricity) so on that fact and the money aside can you live with the guilt if you cut corners and do it yourself

It's a little hard to say how much the UL cert. costs as it's part of the total cost of the wiring of the fixture by the special UL certified shop [or ''bench'' as they call it]

The one I use charges about $90/ hr and provides all the listed parts, does a neat and tidy job and puts that special little sticker inside the canopy so the electrician can legally connect it up and the State Inspector is happy in case he takes the time to check.

It can cost from about $200-300 [and up] per fixture depending on size and complexity.
It would be hard to do it much cheaper yourself if you are charging for your labor at shop rate, even if you had the knowledge and all the special fittings.

In this case the job is done right and the letter and spirit of the law have been satisfied.

wiring lamps and such small stuff i no problem and can and may be done by anyone here in Denmark, i even made one in school when i was little with a bit help from the teacher. it is no more a safety factor then a hm say normal office work lamp or any thing with a light bulb.

DC

In Canada we have the CSA (Canadian Standards Association) they have provisions for one off product testing. They will come to your shop or you can take the item to them and they will test it. Once the product passes inspection you are issued a CSA sticker to place on the item. This does not make your product safe or exempt you from liability you can be sued for any reason; it does show that your product conforms to a standard and therefore is more likely to be safe.

brad

I went into the city to visit a shop that makes custom lighting fixtures. The "lightsmith" was very interested in my project and very helpful. He will be providing materials and design help. We discussed the UL issue. He does not obtain UL labels for his product and is careful to use only the best materials and wire. The biggest concern is that the insulation can stand up to the heat generated by the bulbs. This confirms a discussion I had with an electrician. I feel comfortable going ahead with this project.