I Forge Iron

Electric Motor Size

How big is big enough for a 30lb hammer head weight? I am thinking of getting a 1HP electric motor. If that's not enough, will a 1 1/2 HP motor work?

This the motor I'm looking at: Tractor Supply Company - Regal-Beloit Electric Motor, 1 HP 1725 RPM

Otherwise, if that doesn't work out, I'll find one. Is that gonna be enough for the hammer head weight, or is it gonna be overworked?

I am not one to advise on the motor size, but I think everybody is going to need more information to give you some guidance. What type of hammer do you have. What RPM are you planning on running the hammer. A one hp may be more than enough if you are going to run it slow. If you want more beats per minute, that will take more HP. The amount of friction or "hard start" will play a part in motor sizing. I can give you the HP that I run on my 50 lb Little Giant or my 33 lb Anyang hammer if that would help... If I make a mistake, I would tend to a larger motor rather than a smaller one... but I am sure there are guys who can give better advise than I on this.
Good Luck, James

They don't specify shaft size at Tractor Supply... The friction or hard start load Jamesrjohnson refers to has to do with frame size of a motor (not certain my terminology is correct) there are small 1 horse motors and large 1 horse motors. I believe a larger shaft size is indicative of more torque which you may need to overcome the friction to get the flywheel moving at startup. You wont go wrong by up sizing a little bit to a 1

I use a 1725 rpm 1/2" hp on my 35# tire hammer. Works fine. 3" drive hub : 21" diameter tire. Theoretically that's 246 BPM. There is the friction and common sense factor to be considered, but it goes "fast enough" ;)

Thanks guys, I am looking into making a Appalachian hammer this summer, and am trying to collect some info.

Jamesrjohnson, I don't have any of my sketches on the internet but it will be based off of the Appalachian hammer if that helps. Am aiming for 120-180 beats a minute if possible.

arftist, thanks. I will make sure to check that site out.

Jeff, I am sorry if I irritated you. I had already posted this thread, and asked you this morning about it, trying to figure some stuff out ahead of time. I remember exactly what you said in your above post.
Also, you mind if I power your foot pedal system? :)
http://www.iforgeiron.com/forum/attachments/f57/12911d1238803739-appalachian-power-hammer-build-painted-hammer-003.jpg

sloscheider, I thanks for the info about the startup friction and torque, I'll see if the little giant website has any info on it. I'm gonna check out harbor freight for a larger horsepower and larger shaft. (Thanks unkle_spike for the idea to check harbor freight).

Thanks dodge for that. I'm really hovering between like 1 1/2 and 1 as long as it is 1720 RPM, so that I can gear it down. I'm also wondering which type of belt to use to gear it down.

Edit:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=4106
As of right now I think this is an ideal motor, doesn't have the biggeset shaft ever, but it is a heavier duty one compared to others, and has the low RPM. If anything seems wrong for me to use this motor let me know!

Edited by m_brothers

I built a Rusty-type hammer: 34 lb running a bit over 200 beats/minute.
The motor is a 1 HP TEFC Frame 56-75 and draws 13.4 amps under rated load. 1725 rpm.
When I first got the hammer running, the motor ran hot. I checked the amps and it had current spikes up to 25 amps. I added some weight to the large pulley as a flywheel, and now the motor runs cool.

I have a "large pulley" that is 12-3/4 inches in diameter. The motor pulley is 2 inches O.D. and I don't think you can get a smaller pulley that will still fit the 5/8 inch shaft. Fortunately it gives me the right speed. If you find a motor with a 1 inch shaft, you may have to settle for a larger pulley on the motor which will require a larger pulley on the hammer. I don't know if this is an issue for you.

Some of the other variables besides Ram Weight and beats/minute that will determine the necessary HP would be the length of the stroke or velocity of the ram at impact, and the overall efficiency of the hammer.

Good luck with your project.