I Forge Iron

help to build a small forge

Gas or coal? My preference would be to start with coal - perhaps someone could load you a rivet forge or you could find one at an antique shop.

If you're looking for a gas forge just search for something like "propane forge plan" Here's one from Larry Zoeller:

Plans to build a simple gas forge

You'll find lots of information on his site for building burners and he sells parts at pretty reasonable prices too.

Lessons in Blacksmithing

LB0003 Blacksmithing Forges
LB0003.0001 Blacksmithing Forges
LB0003.0002 Coal Forges
LB0003.0003 Gas Forges Information

Use the fuel that is available in your area. As sloscheider said start with solid fuel if it is available, it will not go BOOM. It is a great lesson in fire control as you choose how hot the fire gets.

The now famous 55 forge BP0133 55 Forge is very similar to the rivet forge mentioned about and about $100 less in price. With a little scrounging you can make one at no cost.

Thanks guys where would I find a coal supplier in deep south east Georgia. I belive coal will be my choice if I can get it near me.I do work in a steel mill so I can get the metal to build a forge was just not sure how big it should be the 55 forge should be great for me.

Georgia?? I would suggest charcoal.... all that BBQ down there should have have some charcoal around.... or talk to the local Guild or ABANA chapter those boys and girls will help you!!

remember charcoal takes a little pressure of air, but a lot of it ,think high volume low pressure!!

GOOD LUCK!! a start is all you need, it will all make sense soon.....

GA - Georgia
Aetna Coal, Browns Siding, Wildwood, GA. (615) 821-5433 James Lynn
Jimmy Johnson, Rt. 5, Union Hill Road, Canton, Georgia 30114, (770) 479-8627.
GA Farriers Supply, 2891 Upper Bethany Rd, Jasper, GA 30143, (770) 735-3984
GrayStar Products, 1155 Settles Pointe, Suwanee, GA 30024, (678) 360-3521, Ed Avolio
Shady Rest Forge, Rt. 19, Box 739, Hammock Road, Macon, GA, 31217, (478) 743-4244 Buster Grubbs

Building coal supplier list.