I Forge Iron

Greetings to all...

Chad B

Hi folks,

I am a complete novis at bladesmithing, but want to start my hobby. I think learning a skill like this may come in very handy some day soon. I'm looking forward to talking with everyone.

Thanks,

Chad B

Welcome aboard Chad, glad to have you.

When you say you're a "complete novice" do you mean just to bladesmithing or does that include blacksmithing too?

Making blades requires a few specific skills sets that are best perfected in stages. Starting with general blacksmithing and working up to tool making. Forging tool steel isn't the same as mild though the skills are very similar, it's touchier.

Then there's heat treating and this takes practice and attention to detail.

My least favorite part though the most time consuming is grinding and a good knife requires precision grinding.

If your only target is knife making then you can tailor your skills acquisition to that. For instance, while you learn basic smithing and gain the skills through practice you could make stock removal blades to hone your grinding and finishing skills.

Frosty