I Forge Iron

hello

whatfelloff

I am a 27 year old father of three. I work in a steel fabrication mill in south Giorgia. I have always been amazed buy blacksmithing and need a little help getting my feet wet. I am interested in knife making and would appreciate any advice I can get.
Thanks and God bless you

Welcome aboard, glad to have ya.

I hope you'll forgive me if I don't ask just what fell off. :o

This is a really good place to come to get yourself started forging. Be forewarned though it's a highly infectious pursuit, once addicted you're hooked for life.

A good place to start on the path is by reading some sections of this site, "Lessons in metalwork and the Blueprints" will give you lots of insight, good ideas for improvising tools and equipment so you can get to it while looking for the "real" things.

Making knives is a pretty advanced place to start forging. I recommend you learn to forge first, maybe take some classes or at least attend some club meetings and get togethers for hands on help and advice first.

However, making knives via stock removal doesn't involve the potential pitfalls of forging but most certainly does go a long way toward developing the precision grinding skills you'll need on forged blades.

Again, welcome.

Frosty

Glad to have you aboard. I have family in southeast GA, over toward Jesup in Wayne County.
You could also pick up a book called The Art of Blacksmithing, by Alex Bealer. Good book. It will give you some good fundamentals. Look for your local ABANA chapter. You may find a blacksmith closer than you think.

For knifemaking, there is always The Complete Bladesmith by Jim Hrisoulas as well as his other books. VERY good info there.

Welcome aboard Reynaldo, good to have you with us.

I'm sure someone will post info and their opinions, tricks, etc. for benders, rollers, etc. shortly.

If you'll click "User CP" at the top of the page and edit your profile to show your location it can make a lot of difference. IFI is represented by members from more than 50 countries and a lot of info is location specific.

Frosty