I Forge Iron

new Main Battle... errr Forging Hammer, "Blue Boy"

This is another remade hammer. I started with a three pound square faced cross peen that had been abused. The face was mushroomed and had shards broken off on the top corner. The cross peen end was in decent shape... no handle. I bought her for two bucks. I reforged the face and smashed the cross peen down to get a much wider one with larger radii and some rocker side to side. I redrifted the eye and reground the working faces to get some nice smoothly rounded corners and a fair rounding on the face. "Blue Boy" is headed for the BAM conference in Sedalia MO this weekend. Maybe he and I will meet some of you there. I believe that he is closer to 2 1/2 pounds than three now... scale and grinding lightened him a bit... just right for me though.
BTW the name comes from the tempering colors which are still visible and kinda pretty.

13840.attach

13841.attach

I was just wondering if you'd taken it for a test drive yet. I tend to fondle the ones I make or reshape for a day or two before I hit anything with them. Deb won't let me bring them to bed or I'm sure I'd be ready to use them next day. ;)

Frosty

Man has Frosty got it bad, but what's with the wife? Nothin wrong with bringing a new tool into the bedroom, just set it on the nightstand, right next to the clock, where the digital lighting can cast a lovely glow over the favored piece, and as you drift off you can cast a longing glance over to it....
sweeeeeeet dreams

• 2 weeks later...

Okay Frosty;

I tested this hammer and he is my favorite now! I love the way that I can fuller with all four corners of the face and the cross-peened end is much more useful than most. So far I like it better than any hammer I've seen or had a chance to try! I am eager to make some from scratch now! I picked up some old tractor axles and such for steel which I hope to make into nice hammers. The temper seems right so far. I picked up a new (old) anvil (Trenton 253 lbs.) at the BAM conference last weekend and he is hungry for big iron!