I Forge Iron

first hammer

junker

My main hammer is a 4 pound double face similar to the pictured hammer. I vary the weight by moving up and down on the handle. I choke up for lighter blows and use more handle for heavier blows. Works well for me. I use it for most everything.

My anvil, a Trenton 200 lb, is on the soft side so I always soften a new hammer by drawing the colors with a torch. Much better to have to dress a hammer now and then than to ding up your anvil when drawing a thin taper.

Until you can get a smaller hammer choke up on the handle, same as if you were swinging a baseball bat that was too heavy. Remember that the hammer is a simple lever and the longer the lever the more tension you are applying to your muscles, tendons and joints(especially your wrist). As many others have stated just because your young and strong does not save you from injury.

I am just getting into smithing and have only had 5, 4 hour classes. once i can get my own forge and anvil i will be doing it a whole lot more regularly then i am now(Even if i have to pack the anvil and forge up into my van and drive to a local park to do it).

I am about 6' 250 lbs and allways tend to grab a 2 lbs cross pein when i am in class. i own a 3 lbs drivers hammer but it wears on me badly *bad handle on it as well*.

i have used a 8lbs sledge in class but that was with 2 people hammering and one holding the stock and draft *Drafting out about a 20 lbs replica of thors hammer*

Well i guess this makes a good first post.

Jess

*PS THANK YOU for that hammer site. i have been looking for a 2 lbs cross pein with no luck.*

• 2 months later...

Good thread. When I was your age I tried the same thing. I found out quickly that mid range was better.

I will also comment on the tendon issue. BE VERY CAREFUL WHEN YOU ARE YOUNG TO NOT SCREW UP YOUR TENDONS!!!

I was a crazy rock climber and liked to show off. I would do stupid things like one finger pull ups and other things that were very harmful to my body. Didn't seem to matter then but now I can tell you it does. I am only 29, but man my tendinitis really sucks at times.

For instance I woke up last night from horrible pain to my right elbow. Sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night with a dislocated shoulder. Again from being young and reckless. BE CAREFUL MAN.

Sorry to give you the OLD MAN grillin' but I wish that someone would have done the same for me when I was your age.

Take care,
Greebe