I Forge Iron

Hey from VT

My name is Dave, and I live in Northern Vermont. I've been interested in blacksmithing for several years, but only in the last few have I been getting in any actual practice. My first experience with smithing was with a local farrier, Rick Thomas, he showed me some things a got me set up with a forge and some basic tools. He also put me in touch with Lucian Avery in Hardwick, Vermont. Lucian was very helpful. Then I went to college and fell out of practice. I'm now a sophomore and doing a project on Anglo-Saxon metal work, so I figured this would be a great chance for me to get some more practice in. I'm looking to get a good cheap (in price not quality) hammer and anvil. Currently I'm using a I-beam about a foot long, and an old 2lb flat hammer the I got from my Dad. I would love any info on hammers and tips/tricks on making my own tongs. (Currently I'm using some pliers, again from my dad and some heat resistant gloves).

Another source of tools may be you local blacksmith group
I beleive the NE Blacksmiths are having a conference sometime in May
Go to this groups home page then on the right is a link to groups
Hopefully there will be contact info for you
Nathan from here in MN is planning to be there with hand hammers unless his plans change.

Welcome aboard SuperDave, glad to have ya.

For now, find yourself a piece of RR rail instead of the "I" beam, there's way too much flex in "I" beam.

Look through the Blue Prints section for directions on how to make tonges and other useful things.

Frosty