I Forge Iron

Hello from Tylertown

hk knives

I am new to the forum and fairly new to knifemaking.I have been learning to make knives for about 2 years now and i am still learning.I became disabled in Feb 08,so not much shop time since then.Good to be here,i'll add something when i can,the rest of the time i'll just listen and learn.

Keith

Welcome aboard Keith, glad to have you.

There are plenty of knife makers to talk to here.

Sorry to hear about your disability. Was it an injury or illness? I'm still recovering from an accident I did myself two years ago last September.

Knife making is an excellent choice if it's hard to get around or lift heavy things or are short on space. Wonderful craft, full of beauty and utility.

Frosty

I am new to the forum and fairly new to knifemaking.I have been learning to make knives for about 2 years now and i am still learning.I became disabled in Feb 08,so not much shop time since then.Good to be here,i'll add something when i can,the rest of the time i'll just listen and learn.

Keith

Keith if you check the following: gulfcoastblacksmith.com

It will take you to an abana affiliate dedicated to more traditional smithing but is also lead in part by a man by the name of Chuck Robinson.

His primary interest is in making Knives, forging knives, the technology and history of knives. His is also very egar to share his great knowledge with anyone who will listen. Their most frequent meeting place is Covington LA at a members shop.

In your area are also The Mississippi Forge Council which has a thread at the in the bottom section, and LAMA (The Louisiana Metal Smiths Association)
Incidentaly, Mississippi Forge Council's Annual Conference is May 24, and May 25.

Happy to have you here.

Charlotte

Hello.
I have made a couple of knives. In fact my primary hunting knife is one that I made in a friends knife shop. He has been making knives most of his life and has become fairly well known in some circles. It was a great learning experience for me.

Thanks to all for the replies,i have been off the computer for a few days but i'm back.Thanks for asking Frosty,and very sorry to here about your accident,hope all goes well.My problem started with a birth defect,i hate to complain all the time,but i have lived with pain my entire life.I have worked since i was big enough to do so,now i guess it has finally caught up with me.I had my 4th back surgery in March 08 and have not worked since,with a wife and 2 kids it's been tough.I have always dreamed of living in Alaska,and who knows,maybe someday.

Thanks for the headsup Charlotte,i am going to check out that web site.Where in Louisiana do you live?I grew up in Bougalusa,still have a brother that lives there and works at Hoods new dealership in Covington.Well,i guess i have rattled on long enough.Thanks to all for listening,Keith

...Thanks for the headsup Charlotte,i am going to check out that web site.Where in Louisiana do you live?I grew up in Bougalusa,still have a brother that lives there and works at Hoods new dealership in Covington.Well,i guess i have rattled on long enough.Thanks to all for listening,Keith

Keith, I'm living in LaPlace which is at the start of I 55 where it splits from I 10.

My good friend David, On line Editor of the LAMA gram (News letter of Louisiana Metal Smiths Association), Lives in Bougalusa. His shop was destroyed in Katrina, and the property further distressed by a tornado that passed by. He is currently rebuilding his house and shop. He has a site that you may be interested in: index
Good info that will link to a lot of gulf coast stuff.

I injured myself because I got careless and even though it's taken a lot longer than I would've liked my elbow works great and is pain free for the most part so I can't complain.

Living with constant pain is something that's hard to imagine and keeping going through it is pretty admirable.

There are plenty of things a person can do to make up for physical problems, think power tools and lifting devices. We're all limited by lift capacity and the range between a super strong person and a 5 yr old isn't much compared to the things we build. I love brainstorming tools and equipment, I had to work alone for the most part for years and got pretty good at coming up with ways to move heavy things.

Frosty

HK Knives, welcome! I am truely sorry to hear about your back problem. I share your pain, literally. I also had a birth defect that left me with a herniated disk. The pain got to be so bad I could not walk more than 3 minutes without sitting down. I had a spinal fusion last year and the pain is gone. I know I am very blessed to have this outcome as many do not. I will keep you in my prayers for relief soon. Regarding smithing, this is a good place to come with questions as there are a lot of experienced people here.