I Forge Iron

Multi-blower firepot

I find myself doing fold forming in steel a fair amount lately. That means I have sheet metal 8x8 that I would like to heat along a line fairly evenly. This seems much like the needs of a knife maker.

I was thinking that my next forge could be oval to support this longer heating area. However, for general forging, I would only need a smaller pot.

This got me to thinking that I could make an oval firepot with two or three air inlets. Each would have its own electric blower, that way I could make the fire as big or as small as needed for the job.

I am likely going to be making the firepot out of refactory cement, so I can cast it in any shape I want. I think it is minimal trouble to add a second pipe and blower.

Thoughts?
Doug

An interesting idea for sure. I wonder if you have looked at a side blast forge however. In a side blast forge you will often form your own fire pot out of coal and fines, and I tend to make oblong pots that are perpendicular to the blast. You may be able to easily shape the pot to your needs. It's always worth trying an interesting idea though :)

Also, if you are heating an 8x8 sheet, have you thought about using a gas forge?

in the washtub forge, which is long ond oval, the air supply is via a pipe with a line of holes in it.

I am wondering whether, rather than having 3 separate electric blowers, you could have another pipe fit inside the first, that can be rotated (or even pushed in and out) to open and close different combinations of ports or holes - this would achieve mechanical control over the air rather than fiddling with 3 electric motors?

The best example I can come up with is like the lid of a big pot of salt or powdered cheese - closed - lots of little holes - big hole etc.

Actually, I was thinking one big blower that forks to two or three branches, each with its own ball valve. I like three different pipes because I want a longer, or shorter fire at different times.

I just rethought thought your idea, that makes sense also, with finer control. I think the idea would be like a slide whistle...

I also played with the idea that the firepot is actually a removable block of concrete, and that I can pull out different firepots for different jobs. It is good that it is replaceable in the brick housing, but realistically, I do not think I would change it, so I want to have the three valve design.

-Doug

Eric,

This is not the fireplace cement. This is the stuff they use in creamatoriums. Pricey stuff, but rated for 2000 degree at thousands and thousands of cycles. I made the pot too deep, so I have had to fill it in with kitty litter clay, but the refactory cement is going very strong!