I Forge Iron

Case hardening by welding?

hill.josh

Had this idea just come out of nowhere but wanted to know if anyone had ever tried forging a knife out of mild steel then hardfacing it with welding rod and grinding down and heat treating.. I know that its somewhat unconventional but I've always heard that knives with a soft core are superior to ones made completely of tool steel. Anyone got any ideas on this?

There was maker in Ks that did that.

I think he used spring steel for the base, he welded one pass on each side of the edge and then he flipped the blade edge up and put one more pass on the edge itself.
The blade went immeadiatly ino the forge and he forged the edge.

He used to demo the edge by striking the edge on an old anvil and then shaving hair off his arm... neat trick

Why not just forge weld the type of steel you want for the edge to the type of steel you want for the body? Very common in medieval times in Europe; there is a typology based on how the two (or more) pieces are welded together, [ butt, lap. insert, etc]

Most hard facing alloys don't have the properties you want for an edge as they are made for abrasion resistance and personally I don't like having a blade that requires a diamond hone to sharpen.

You know that guys name Sweany?

I thought about that but aren't there welding rods that are also hard.. I mean I'm not an expert or anything but I'd guess that there were some?
If one was to forge weld it on tho, what type of joint would you suggest?