I Forge Iron

First knife

SRT02

So I am making my first knife, it is made out of a old railroad spike. I have the blade hammered out pretty well. I twisted the handle as well, but the problem I have ran into in the past is failing to heat treat it right. Is there a way to do this that is somewhat easy to pick up? I tried to get a picture up but something went wrong so it's sort of a bummer.

-SRT

RR spikes don't have enough carbon to harden. Good forging practice though and a perfect example of the value of research.

To post a picture:

Click on "Go advanced" at the bottom of the quick reply text window.

Scroll down in the window that comes up till you see the "Manage attachments" button, click on it.

The window that opens will have several "Browse" buttons click on one and select a picture from a file on your computer. Repeat till you have the pictures you want attached to the post selected and click "Upload".

When the manager window returns empty, close it, finish your post and submit it. Your pictures will be attached as thumbnail links at the bottom.

Frosty

SRT02, don't bother with oil quenching. Several things control the hardness of the metal: 1. Carbon Content 2. Dissolving all the carbon in the austenite before you quench it. 3 The speed of the quench; water is faster than oil and will get you a better hardness with low carbon. Normalize the blade first, then heat a bit HOTTER than non-magnetic, water quench to room temperature. Temper not hotter than 200F. Don't expect the RR spike to hold much of an edge even if you get it heat treated correctly. A .30 Carbon steel can get a Rockwell C hardness of 35 to 50, depending on how much martensite you achieve. Now being new at this, may I suggest you read Blueprint 0078.