I Forge Iron

Forged or Stock Removal?

2K_Kid

I absolutely love the look of this blade, but I was wondering do you think it was forged or did the bladesmith take a piece of bar stock and just use stock removal techniques to make this blade?

FONasmythTigereye2.jpg

The description of the blade below the picture on his website says:

"Nasmyth" This fine khukri is a full sized work of art. The hollow ground blade is made of high chromium 440c martensitic stainless tool steel, with full intricate filework, and a traditional "cho" at the start of the grind. The knife is a full tang, one solid piece of 1/4" thick steel from tip to tip. The tang is fully tapered for balance, and I've adorned this beautiful piece with over 900 individual file cuts in the filework. The bolsters are brass, hand-engraved in a curving style to match the blade curves and the repeating pattern of the Tiger Eye Quartz gemstone handle. The Tiger eye is chatoyant, with wild play of light in the "cat's eye" effect. In the center of the handle is a traditional palm ring, and this one is made of Australian Tiger Iron gemstone, which is a metamorphic rock of Tiger Eye Quartz, Red Jasper, and Hematite. The sheath is double stitched hand-tooled, and made of 9-10 oz. thick leather shoulder. A magnificent piece!

Here is the link to the blade/website:

Khukris, Fine Combat, Custom Knives

Based upon my review of his website, reading the "About Him" stuff and looking at all the pics I can find I would guess stock removal since I don't see any blacksmithing related tools nor does he say anything about forging/blacksmithing.

Steve sells

How it was made really doesn't matter too much, as its a nice looking blade. But methods are valid ways top produce a blade, but since this IS a blacksmith site, we usually deal with real smithing blades.

I didn't mean to imply that stock removal is any less valid than forging/smithing a blade, but I would be even more impressed with the blade if it is a forged blade.

The skill shown by the bladesmith is tremendous, but if it is stock removal, then he started with a flat piece of steel. If otoh, he started with a piece of square or round bar, and forged it down to the right shape/size and then mostly polished it, that would be another order of magnitude of skill, at least in my opinion.

I'd bet on stock removal; not a lot of folks forge 440C and there are little hints like "The knife is a full tang, one solid piece of 1/4" thick steel from tip to tip" a smith is more likely to taper the knife where it can to make the knife lighter without impacting the strength.