I Forge Iron

bellows question

• 2 months later...

Dragonboy:

The only reason for not using plywood would be for authenticity reasons. In the "good old days" they didn't have plywood. Other than that, if I had to make another set, plywood would be a definate consideration

Woody

Plywood works perfect for bellows construction. Remember, you get what you pay for. Buy plywood with the best lamination and grade for your project. Right now, building material has skyrocketed. But for some reason, cabinet grade plywood hasn't rissen in comparison. As for Woody's coment on authenticity, I would agree that it is important to learn traditional in all aspects of your blacksmithing art. After all, you are learning an ancient craft. But we also must remember that they were not stupid back then either. If they had access to things like plywood, torches, power drills, electricity, running water, birth control and deoderant, they would have used it.
I used 3/4" plywood for my bellows back in 91 and noggahide for the wrap. Still don't know how many noggas had to die to make that thing, but it works great still.
Gobbler