I Forge Iron

holdfast

Here is the holdfast I use. It is a design I worked on for awhile and it works fantastically. I make it out of rebar because the texture seems to help. It is allowed to cool in the air after it's made. Don't harden it because it could break under tension. I use holdfasts like this for 1.5-2 years before they wear out without adjusting them.

12602.attach

12603.attach

12604.attach

12605.attach

12606.attach

Things break after hardening because of the stress cause by the act of hardening also makes them brittle. Research tempering, you are able to relieve that stress with out making the steel much softer. but not having the brittleness.

Rebar is not the most consistent stuff so predictably hardening and tempering them is a challenge. The size adds to the difficulty- the one in the picture is made of 30 inches of 1/2 inch rebar. The texture is the reason to use it. I use mine for doing detailed chisel work with the anvil backing, as well as punching and slitting holes.

It springs from the first bend which is best if it is a little over half a circle. The distance from there to where it drops into the foot is just based on where on the anvil you want it to grab. The foot is made by forging all the texture out of the end of the rebar and then spiraling. If you tap the top of the large curve the hold fast springs out to lock your work down. Hitting the side of the holdfast right above where it enters the pritchel hole loosens it- it can really jump if it is under a lot of tension. It is important to not hit the holdfast past the point it can spring. Usually one or two light hits will lock it down very well.

By making that loop larger and a little more than half a circle you increase how much it can spring and isolate where it springs from. After you've made the loop part you have to put a few other bends in to get it where you need it on the anvil.