I Forge Iron

Newby in IL

ilarcher

Welcome to the forum. This is one of the best places to get information. Lots of people on here doing all aspects of the trade. However if you are a 'true newbie' and haven't had any experience in forging you might better start with the basics. Lots of info here about building your first forge(gas or coal) and lots of info for people just starting out. Plenty of knife makers on this forum, however if you are not experienced in forging it would be best to begin at the 'beginning' to develop the skills necessary to be a knife maker.

Also go to your user control panel and update your location. If we know where you are we may be able to point you toward a Blacksmith in your area or help with locating tools and supplies.

Terry

Welcome aboard
There are a lot of active smiths in your area
Go to the iforgeiron home page then on the right click on blacksmith groups to find a group in your area.

There is a hammerin at Scott Co Park north of Davenport IA this Sat and Sunday.
Ussually about 30 or more smiths in attendance.
Bud Harvey past IVBA president is the demonstrator.
I think he will be doing some treadle hammer tooling and projects
I plan to be there

Hello. Just wanted to let you know that I am from Clinton, Il. which is about as central il as it gets. We have a good group of people, and we are pretty active as a group and individually as well. What town are you from? If you think you would like to join our group, leave a message on here, and we'll do it. We meet every Wed. night in Farmer City at the local blacksmith shop. Both new and old group members and we all belong to IVBA. Lots of experience to draw from, all nice people. Welcome aboard.

Thanks everyone.

Ed, I'm not far from you. I'm in Colfax, IL. Farmer City is just a hop, skip and a jump for me so I might swing down there.

Thank you all for the warm welcome.

BTW,,,I am building a charcol forge just to anneal and to heat treat. I am no where near ready to forge a blade. I am going to cut my first blades from old circular saw blades that I have from work. I have been reading about all this for some time now and decided to set up and start making my own knives to go with my traditional archery gear.

Edited by ilarcher

Ed
Great bunch of people live near Farmer City.
I havent been to Mark and Mindy's shop but have seen her work wich is excellent but so is Mark's.
Steve Parker and Roger Lawrance live near there also and have been there.
Took two copper class at Roger's.
He might have a spare forge.
I know he sells excellent forge pots, cones and swage blocks