I Forge Iron

Arching heavy flats

lgmoyer

I recently accepted a commission to build the base for a coffee table. The design calls for bark textured 1/2 x 3" flats (both sides) slightly arched at the center by 2". I have pondered a number of ways to accomplish the arch without destroying the deep texturing (which I prefer to do while flat) and none really appeal. Anyone have a great ideas that will also save my arms?

A #5 or larger fly press could do that cold. I know my S5 could w/o a problem. Just make your tooling out of HDPE to not mess up the texture. And bump away.

You could do the same with a hyd shop press. You'll need to make a jig.

All that needs to happen is the piece is set on two parallel rounds that are secured to a plate about 6" apart and you bump it in between the two rounds.

Measure out and mark every 2" on the material and run the stock thru hitting that mark.

After two passes you should see an arch forming.

Great ideas! I particularly like the idea of the fly-press. I have been looking for an excuse to buy one but the timing and funding have not cooperated. This might be the time. All I need now do is convince my Chief Financial Officer (A.K.A. She Who Must be Obeyed -- my wife) that we can afford the investment.

Thanks to all.
Larry

I'm new to flypresses too and though my tooling is rather limited at present (I have a top fuller and I can fit my touchmark in it), I'm amazed at what I can do with it already.

I've thought about making a few bending dyes from oak as it would be quicker for me to make (I have lots of oak but precious little random bits of steel suitable), and for certain things I'm sure it will work. I've used oak logs for forging steel bowls and spoons before, though doing that hot was interesting!

You can bring it up to my shop and we will run it thru my roller. it will handle up to 5/8 x 6 cold so should be no problem. About ten minute job, 20 hours drive time. What do you know that fly press is sounding better all the time. Seriously a good roll will do it with out hurting the texture.
Phil

Phil,

How far are you from Joplin? I was born in Joplin and still have a cousin there. I've not been back in over 40 years. Been thinking it would be great to see him again and see some of the old sights from my childhood. Maybe that 20 hours is not out of the question.