I Forge Iron

Achiving accuracy on Conventional lathe

Puneet

Hello Forum,

I have a conventional lathe machine. I have a MS casting on which we need to make dia of 290mm.Accuracy required is 30microns.
Again holding the machined dia on chuck,we need to make same 290mm bore on the other side with same accuracy..Suggest what kind of attachment will be useful..

Welcome aboard, glad to have you.

What you need is a machinist not some special tool, 30 microns isn't that big a deal.

If you'll click "User CP" at the top of the page and edit your profile to show your location it'll make a big difference. IFI is represented by members from more than 50 countries and a lot of info is location specific. There's also the probability there's someone living close enough to you that can help out.

Frosty

Puneet,
As Frosty said earlier, 30 microns (.001181") is not hard to hold to even with a rather worn lathe. It would be nice to know more about, what size the part is, what kind and size of lathe you have, what kind of tooling is available to you, do you require a steady rest, do you have, or can you make boring bars. To help turn to tighter tolerances, I generally pivot my cross slide to a very steep angle from the part and then when you advance it one thousands of an inch you are just moving towards the part a very minute amount. Post a picture or drawing and some info on the machine for better help.
Jay

A competent machinist shouldn't have much trouble re chucking the piece, there are gauges and four jaw chucks for that.

For the record, I am not a competent machinist and this kind of fiddly tight tolerance work takes me forever. Still, it isn't all that hard. Maybe if I'd listened to Dad more or maybe practiced.

Frosty

I think Frosty nailed it. Since Puneet called the lathe a "conventional lathe", I asume they are a CNC shop, doing a job that won't fit into the CNC. Puneet, if you post some pictures of the part you are trying to turn, you may get some more useful help.