I Forge Iron

What do you know about Brooks anvils?

I may have an oppertunity to own a Brooks anvil.

What do you know about them? I have heared they are good.

Just wondering what are the pros, and cons if there are any?

Do they ring? (not bothered either way - only if they are meant to I will give it a tap with a hammer to check all is well)

All info welcome and appreciated.

Cheers.

My Vaughans brooks has a 30mm hardy hole. I absolutely love the anvil. Mine is exactly double the size of the one at which you are looking- a 280.

If I could bet a little one like a 140 I would definitely take it.

Check out Vaughans (Hope Works) - For all your Blacksmith, Foundry, Farrier needs. Now available Ironworkers and Bending machines

140lb is what im looking at - do you like yours? and why?

Very compact. It gives you a lot of re-bound.
I don't like a wide face - my preference is for somewhere around 4 inches wide. I like the shape of the bick. I would prefer if it sloped upwards a little like the Swedish patterns but oh well.

What I don't like is the placement of the table. Rather than the step being from the face to the table, it goes from the table down to the bick.

I use the step a lot for cupping and forming scarfs.

I have to use a hardie tool when I use the Brooks - a small price to pay.

I must confess that mine is only used when I am away from the forge. I have a Sodafurs as a shop anvil.

If the price is reasonable then I would get it.

Know that you will have to but Vaughns hardy tools or make your own. (or sleeve the hardy) Edited by Mark Aspery

Hello,

I bought a Brooks 1.5cwt anvil last year and have no regrets, but - unlike Bruce (very respected professional) - I am a once or twice a week amateur.

For general forging you will find no problems AFTER you make the bick properly round! I have not seen a second-hand Brooks with a good round bick, it took me a couple of days with a grinder to get mine spot on - little by very little is the way.

Most hardie tools you find will fit it too, and you can sell it on easily when you want to move up a size. Go for it.

G.

All great info so far, keep it comming.

GNJC, do you mean that the bick is not manufactured round, or that the bick on a second hand anvil has usually suffered from use/abuse?

Edited by Bob JS
typos and poor grammar

I'v go a 140 lb-er like you the hardy is a bit big ..I just made a hot hardy to fit it along with a side table like hofi has on his anvil stands I did inlarge the prickeral hole to 1/2" so I could use my other hold downs...the bottom is not ground square on the face of mine a few holes have come through ...the more I hammer in the middle. its one heck of and improvement from the one I started with from Tiwan

I have a 560 lb vaughn brooks that was my main shop anvil untill i got the big anvil to replace it.
It is a very nice anvil ( I bought it new ) and have had no complaints.
Its not as hard as my big anvil but I would say they are as hard or harder than most.
If I could change anything about it I guess it would be the thickness of the heel as it is 3 1/2 inches thick but ive had no problems working around that really

Mike Tanner

Hi,

I can't say that the anvils are produced with a 'flattened' bick; but I can say that I looked at many secondhand Brooks anvils before I bought mine, and they ALL had a flattish bick.

I've just looked at the Vaughn's catalogue (go to their website & download the pricelist, amusing reading if you are sitting down) & the anvils in it don't appear to have particularly flat OR round bicks.

But, the Brooks style does have a less elongated and more 'throaty' bick anyway.

In re' others' comments above, I haven't found the face to be under-hard & have found that it is just soft enough on the edges to make grinding a decent radius there possible.

G.