I Forge Iron

Types of coal

I just got off the phone with a guy selling an anvil, says he's in the coal business. He suggested using anthrocite. Is that right? I know most people say they use bituminous coal. I don't really know the difference enough to say one way or the other. Just curious.

Someone gave me a lump of anthracite once. It burned very hot but was harder for me to start and keep burning than bituminous. I read online that some smiths mix the two. Me, I'm sticking with bituminous. I'm sure there are much more studied opinions than mine forthcoming!

"Good" Bituminous is much nicer to work with than anthracite. He may be a coal dealer---but is he a *blacksmith*!

(Just like I have seen a number of anvils ruined by machinists and welders trying to "improve" them---they were quite skilled in their fields but didn't know enough about blacksmithing to be able to apply their skills properly to an anvil)

Get a 5 gallon bucket of any proposed coal and use it for a day as a test.

I have mixed Bituminous and Anthracite with acceptable results. It takes a steady blast of air to keep Anthracite burning that is why most people who use it mix it with Bituminous. If you can get good Bituminous, low sulfur, high BTU ie 13,500 or so, use it. If not smith with what you can get. Mixing Bituminous and Anthracite gives you a boost in the BTU value also.

I have read that soft bituminous is preferable, and that hard coal is not because the sulfur leeches out carbon from the steel.

My question : Is this only a problem for more critical work, like structural and bladesmithing?

Would any old coal be suitable for general work? Obviously burning anything to get the metal hot is better than nothing.

Low sulfur bituminous coal with good coking characteristics is the gold standard; but smiths have used everything from coconut husk charcoal to lignite to industrial coke as thast was what they had available.

The sulfur does not "leech out carbon"; oxygen does that when the steel is hot. Sulfur makes the steel brittle and red short---much more a problem with a 1/16" blade than with a 1" bar of steel and so bladesmiths are much more picky about their fuel. I know several that use the local coal for general smithing and then use chunk charcoal for blades to avoid sulfur issues.

One last thing a high sulfur coal can pretty well gas you out of the shop while it's coking up from green; so be sure you have a good chimney if you will be using it. (Neighbors complain as well). I once had to box fold some 3/8" plate. So I dug a trench forge in the back yard and used all that "gift" coal folk drop off---probably leftovers from when their houses were heated with coal and visible sulfur deposits in it. I filled the alleyway wall to wall with impenetrable smoke for the entire block as it was coking up. It was amazing! But it did the job...

So anthracite has a higher sulpher content that bituminous?

And why use a softer coal than a harder coal? Is that why bituminous burns more readily than anthracite - the hardness, or rather, the softness of the coal?

The sulfur does not "leech out carbon"; oxygen does that when the steel is hot. Sulfur makes the steel brittle and red short..

Thanks for nipping that idea in the bud - probably got my wires crossed.

Looks like im going to have to start paying for coke soon - I think im too urban to get away with coal smoke, or charcoal making :(

I've recently tried to save money by burning anthracite. Compared to coke breeze, I found that it needs a higher blast. As it burns the size of the pieces decreases and they blow out and burn your hands. It was also more difficult to see into the fire as it seemed to be producing 'smuts' which covered the work. I spent a happy hour this afternoon cleaning the d**n stuff out of the hearth and replacing it with coke. It may be twice the price but it's worth every penny.