I Forge Iron

Forging chrome moly steel

I have a lot of chrome moly (4130) steel 7/32 by 1 1/8 wide. Haven't even finished my propane forge yet. Need refractories. Any way, I've been thinking about forging a strip of the CM and a file together, twisting and folding into a billet to make a sort of damascus type of steel. Has anyone forged chrome moly with other steel or even by itself?

When I get some photos of my burner and forge, I'll post them.

Chrome and Ni steels are harder to forge weld than plain carbon steels. How much experience do you have welding up billets?

Just a couple of days at Birdogforge owned by Bruce Godlesky. I've worked and tig welded a lot of chrome moly but not forged any. I bought some plastech 85 refractory for my forge floor and will try some of the file/chrome moly in the near future after finishing up my propane forge.

If you intend to make damascus, use alternating layers of the 4130 and a plain high carbon steel like 1095, that way when you etch it you will get a nice contrast between the two steels. The 4130 by itself is a bit shy on carbon to make a good knife but adding the high carbon steel to the mix will help some. See Steve Sells post on the Knife Forum about carbon migration.