I Forge Iron

Blower Control

Sam Thompson

Does anyone know where I can find something to vary the speed of my fan (UK single phase is 240v 50Hz)? I use an old washing machine motor and some bits of a leaf blower which I've had for years. What sort of broken machinery should I scavenge in?
I may not have mentioned it before but I live next door to a scrap yard, so there's a good chance of finding something.

I've got an air gate but I've never been able to make one that gives accurate control... I use it to turn the blast off while I'm hammering (it allows a little air in to keep the fire going). At the moment I'm using rubber tube with a g-clamp but the noise of the fan at full speed is annoying me and the only other plan is to put the blower outside the shed. This will transfer the annoyance to my neighbours whom I like. I've had several 'boxes with a knob on' that have done the job in the past but can't find one at the moment.

I've got an off switch to cut it off! I should mention that I use coke (Breeze) which goes out in about five minutes without a blast. What I need to do is keep the fire at a given size with the variable draught and use the gate to cut it down when I'm working without disturbing the power of the blast.

You can get a 1000w dimmer switch that you can use to control the motor speed from an electrical products wholesaler or electric supplies shop, be sure to specify 1000w rating

Or if just using a slide valve, make sure there is a small hole (6 to 8mm) drilled through to allow a small draft of air through when slide is in closed position, this will allow fire to 'tick over'.
And if you want repeatability for the slide valve position, notch the adjusting arm and put a blade edge support under the notched area, you can mark the desired position with a white fluid correction pen for reference.

• 2 weeks later...