Jump to content
I Forge Iron


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

About ClintMakes

  • Rank

Contact Methods

  • Website URL

Profile Information

  • Gender
  • Location
    Plano, TX
  • Interests
    Bladesmithing, Blacksmithing, Casting, Woodwork and collecting hobbies!

Recent Profile Visitors

204 profile views
  1. Thanks pnut. I considered a lot of these options and honestly, the motor control and built-in potentiometer is performing flawlessly and meets my criteria! The level of control, range and how intuitive it is to adjust is pretty amazing.
  2. Sorry for the delay in updates. Work has been kicking my butt the past week. As a status update on the forge itself, no real cracks have appeared anywhere other than where the adobe meets the wooden box. Maybe me forcing it to dry slowly under the tarp and tamping it helped. *shrug* I did cut an opening out on the other side for long work pieces. I did a test firing last weekend and used a hair dryer for my blower. I snuck my wife's out there. Anyway, even on low, it was WAY too strong as predicted. Between the fire fleas and burning the chunk of steel I put in there, it was
  3. I left a tarp covering the overly wet adobe coating for a day, since then I have added a decent layer of sand on top and just covered with a couple of small sections of plywood. This allows moisture to vent out without rain soaking things. I've also been tamping the surface gently each day to help minimize the cracking as it started occurring. I'm sure I will have some cracks to fill (maybe with worm castings as recommended, but I don't have that many.. might mix another drier batch of adobe). I'll post more pics once things have actually cured and I can get a fire going.
  4. Thanks Frosty. Sounds like the 3" base layer was closer to the consistency I should have had for the adobe. Some of what you said also applies to our soil here in general. ALL houses have foundation issues because of the amount of movement we deal with. In the summer, if I don't water, I can end up with cracks in the yard 1.5" wide. Lots of learning here. At least it is easy to repair/replace vs a much more permanent design and cast refractory. I definitely appreciate everyone's knowledge and willingness to share. Some time in the future I'll be able to give back.
  5. Yeah, you guys are right. I had planned on cutting both sides out, but I was being lazy and figured I would do it when the project required. I also know how annoying that will be at the time so I'll cut it out this evening! I hope it provides me with a nice life like that. If nothing else, it will be easy to reline since I have all of the materials on hand. Thanks for the support and comments guys!
  6. Thanks! Yeah, it's sticking out right now mainly because I used it to kind of core the hole out after applying the adobe and also because I don't have anything supporting the pipe yet. I hope to get a fire going later in the week or next weekend! So excited!
  7. Hey guys... after a lot of reading, mostly here, I decided to build a JABOD charcoal forge. Here is my start. In order to maximize my goals for reuse and thrift, I used all materials I already had. The wood is pressure treated 2x12 that is around 25 years old. It was a sand box I made for my kids when they were little. The stand is made of old deck boards. The bottom was hard packed topsoil from the back yard (mostly clay with probably 30% sand). For about an inch and a half coating over the base layer and pavers, I made an adobe. I used clay from the back yard mixed with sand from a pav
  8. Howdy neighbor! I just recently joined and am in the DFW area as well. That is one sexy anvil!
  9. But of course, and pretty standard forum etiquette. Thanks for the welcome! Yeah, I definitely feel restricted here after growing up on 30 acres. Someday I'll have land and a dedicated shop! I assumed the eBay anvil was going to be an ASO for the price, but the face is actually decently hard and it cleaned up pretty well. Thanks! Yeah, I like the idea of something I can experiment with and not be too concerned with messing it up. I'll probably end up with a propane forge someday when I end up with a dedicated shop, but no need to rush things! Like you said, I have to keep it
  10. Hey guys.. long time reader, first time poster. I figured I have lurked long enough. I'm a 50 year old father of three (26, 24 & 18), husband of one (not telling age for fear of my life) living in Plano, TX (Dallas suburb). My wife says I collect hobbies, which is entirely fair. I crave learning and perfecting new skills. I always come back to wood and metal though. I grew up on a small horse ranch in South Texas and was torching and welding at 12 or 13 and we were pretty self sufficient and built/fixed everything ourselves. I finally took my first blacksmithing class 8 yea
  • Create New...