I Forge Iron

Wrought Iron favorites

What is your favorite use today for wrought iron?

I've seen it used for some decorative items, historical reproduction, knife and axe blades (with cs edges). They don't make it anymore and it is not so easy to find. It seems that unless you break a piece to see the silica grain, most people cannot distinguish it from mild steel so why seek it out? I think its a waste to use it for a fireplace poker if mild steel will do as well.

So if I get my hands on some, what would you recommend it best be used/saved for? I want to try and make a wrought iron/carbon steel knife as done ages ago, but its the only specific project I have in mind. I'm trying to understand why people hoard it or want to charge so much for it so maybe I'm missing some use it fits particularly well.

High authenticity historical replicas.  I'm trying to reproduce historical cooking gear and making it from what it was originally made from is part of the process---I will generally make a trial in mild steel and make a "keeper" in wrought iron.  I buy mine at the scrapyard for the same price as regular steel---when I don't find it for free...

The only "modern" use I can think of is for ornamental fittings on blades where its etched surface adds to the "look" of the piece.

1 hour ago, littleblacksmith said:

this may help-http://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/45494-why-wrought-iron/

Littleblacksmith

ThomasPowers. Thank you. I like that concept and is why I want some. I like the idea of making historical items using the same materials and types of tools.

Littleblacksmith, Thanks. That thread covers a lot of my questions. So for a certain look or to reproduce period work, it's fine. Otherwise, it's smiths choice depending on what properties you like to work with. 

You will note that I don't claim that it's superior as often it isn't---it's just more accurate for the times I'm interested in...  Every once in a while I try to do a piece that if "aged" would fool a museum.  (and usually make sure it's date stamped or like on one knife I inlet solder on the underside of the handle scale---if it ever gets xrayed, (a common method of checking how something was made if there is some question about it, it will scream FAKE in a high whiney voice!)

• 2 weeks later...