I Forge Iron

The wind quite, fire up the forge!

Blessed Kansas,we've had 30-40 mph winds with high fire conditions for weeks and today it's all stopped. So finally I got to drag my forge out and start practicing again (rank newby). I never did get to post any pictures of my forge and anvils all built from misc. scrap and sections of track. Tongs are my weak spot right now so that's what I'm trying to make. Please don't make fun of the "Flintstone" wheels on my forge,I don't have a dedicated spot for it yet and have to take it in and out. The forge cart has a lift up handle for moving it or supporting long stock.

Still plan on making a chimney that can be removed and maybe a stronger blower if I can scrounge one up. I took a lot of ideas from lots of people while making all of this so many thanks to all.

Bill

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

A great tool I have found is the windalert.com website.  It gives you a 7 day forecast of predicted winds in your area which makes it easy to spot when you wind-ows of low wind opportunity are coming and how long they will last.

It's a little convoluted to get to the forecast at the site--  you enter your zip code and it will show a bunch of local wind stations.  Pick one, click, and at the bottom of the window it brings up there is another button for "forecast".  That should bring up the week's wind predictions hour by hour.  Be sure and check whether the rates are in KPH or MPH...it does both.

I live on an open plain and having that wind forecast makes a huge difference in a lot of outdoor projects.  Even planning on mowing the lawn is better when the wind isn't buffeting you. I've found it to be quite accurate in my neck of the prairie.

Sorry...this one is for the USA.  Not sure if there is equivalent for other areas.

Thanks for the nice words  Kevin but at 62 I've got a lot of metalworking under my belt but have to admit I'm struggling a bit with learning this side of it. I started building all of this last year but life got in the way and I feel like I'm restarting again. Today wasn't very productive,all I did was burn up coal and metal. Oh well, keep on pounding.

Bill

Thanks Kozzy, I'll check it out. We were in Key West a few years ago and a warning went out about a storm coming in with possible hurricane winds of 40 mph-lightweights! 

Bill

Thanks,I don't have a dedicated smithy yet so I have to drag everything out of the garage. I have a large Prentice vice on a stand in the garage,I haven't been able to score a post vice for a decent price yet. I have a pretty good collection of hammers but sure would like to find some tongs. I had to shut down today,during my 4 month hiatus it seems everything I learned last year disappeared. I did one thing today though don't gab to the meter reader with metal in the forge!

bill

It has been tough the last couple of weeks here on the east side too.  I'm like you I have to haul the forge outside the shop.  Didn't get to play at all on Sunday (went fishin).  Hang in there before long it will be hot enough you'll save on charcoal and be wishing for a breeze.

Papy

I'm jealous, I just had a vertebra fused in my neck and I am not allowed to touch a hammer until the end of July or beginning of August. I'm glad to see others enjoying. I guess i'll have to pound metal vicariously through everybody else here. That is a nice set up you have there.

Bill

a little rain last night nothing heavy.  I went to the river and feed the catfish...no pictures but they were Giants.  Remember "all fishermen are liars except you and me and sometimes I'm not so sure about you!" Unknown author.

Bud

Dont pick that hammer up before.  I hope that solves the issue.

Papy

How far are you from the Nebraska boarder?? The PBA has a lot of smiths running down hwy 81 from Hebron NE to Salina KS.

then some more around Phillipsburg KS.  My place is about an hour and a half north of  Phillipsburg. 

I'm approx. 20 mi. west of Topeka which makes me around 60-70mi. from the state line.

1 hour ago, 51 Papy said:

Bill

a little rain last night nothing heavy.  I went to the river and feed the catfish...no pictures but they were Giants.  Remember "all fishermen are liars except you and me and sometimes I'm not so sure about you!" Unknown author.

Bud

Dont pick that hammer up before.  I hope that solves the issue.

Papy

When's the fish fry!

Yes, there are a couple groups that meet in steel city ne which is southeast of Fairbury ne then the Summerville ks group which is south of Beatrice ne.  When also have guys around Nebraska city.  Wayne Lindhart is in clay center ks.