I Forge Iron

microwave oven handle broke

The flimsy handle on the microwave oven broke. It was really hard to get to the other end to undo the screws. The manufacturer really wants you to buy a new one. This piece was forged in a rush with a field expedient forge (can of perlite and a propane torch). People are dependant on this appliance. Please excuse the odd screws. They are from a broken dishwasher.

20151010_155251.jpg

Just a side note our dump has a collection area for microwaves and they will let you take parts off them to repair yours. Also the magnetrons can be purchased on line and replace very easily keeping from buying a new one. This may just be in the California tree hugger areas that the dump separates them.

That does look like a repair I saw in a Dorm.

That's strange.  It was right side up on my phone.  The phone has an accelerometer which can sense the orientation.

The quality of these appliances has really deteriorated.  The plastic is really undersized and violates decent engineering DRC's.  It has only lasted a couple of years and the top is breaking down as well.  Probably won't get much more than a few years more out of this microwave oven, but at least the handle will last.  The wood is apple off a backyard tree.  It's really tough stuff.  The family can't get by very long without the microwave.