I Forge Iron

Any Experience With Riverside Machines Hydraulic Press?

Zachary

I've been looking at Riverside's hydraulic press and wondering if anybody has one or any experience using one. I've been toying with the idea of getting a forging press but didn't know if 24 ton would do what I want to do. I make a lot of hammers and would want it to punch the holes for the eyes and forge in the cheeks. I use mostly 1 3/4" and 2" round stock but would like to maybe go up to 3" . I don't know enough about presses to know if a 24 ton would be enough to do something like that or not. Any advice or help would be appreciated. Thanks Zachary

I am not familiar with the Riverside Presses.

Speed will make a difference for any given tonnage.

I have a 12 tonne single acting press that can manage a 40mm hole through 40mm square mild steel. I haven't tried any larger with it because I now use a 30 tonne double acting press for punching and the 12 tonne for straightening afterwards. The largest hole I have punched and drifted with the 30 tonne press is 90mm (3 5/8") through 90mm square. I have drifted 150mm (6") through 100mm (4") square having first made a slit with a gas axe.

I have punched and drifted hammer heads through 40mm (1 1/2") square Progen steel without any trouble under the 30 tonne press...

Alan

I have that press and it is great. I have not really done any punching on it but it I regularly work ten pound billets of pattern weld and it reduces it very quickly. My guess is that you would not have any problems once you worked out the best sizes to slit and drift to get your final dimensions. I have no idea if it would do it in one shot. 

I do my Hammer punching  and drifting in carbon steel with a fast 12 tonne press , I get more from it at 12 tonne 2" per second than I did at 18 tonne 1.5 inches per second.....My tool,ing would last longer and could be thinner if it were faster.

I used an uncle all press (riverside) at the ABS school some 20 years ago and was very impressed with it. does it have the daylight for the punching tools you want to use?

Thanks for the replies guys. As far as punching it in one shot I don't mind if it takes a little more than that I just wasn't sure what a press that size would do. It will have a big enough opening for my 2" stock but I may have to make a shorter eye punch if I want to do 3" but that's not a big deal. Thanks again.