• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 metalworker77

metalworker77

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 08:43 PM

Can you forge Aluminum i.e. with a hammer and anvil? Is there any toxic gasses or anything that I should be worried about?

#2 Archie Zietman

Archie Zietman

• Members
  • 490 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 08:51 PM

aluminum melts at so low a temperature (I am not sure but I think around 1350 degrees F, not even red heat for iron/steel) that you'd be far better off casting it. A good site for that is backyardmetalcasting.com
good luck!
Archie

#3 Rich Hale

Rich Hale

Apprentice curmudgeon

• Members
  • 3,153 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 09:07 PM

Soft aluminum not the T-6 or other hard kinds can indeed be forged with forge and anvil. IUse common precautions such as not breathing either fumes from forging or from the forge. You have to play a bit to find the right temp to forge. Try this in a gasser put the piece in and count to 15 take it out and rub a hickory hammer handle on it..if it does not leave a mark go back in for ten count. If at any time the hammer handle leaves a dark browm mark really fast stop and let it cool. coutn to 20 and try the wood again should be a nice brown mark but not dark...then forge away..You can froge for quite a whiel before you need another heat for next heat put piece in and count to 10 check with handle etc.....have fun

#4 Ed Thomas

Ed Thomas

• Members
  • 571 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 09:17 PM

Forging aluminum is very common in industry, and occasionally done by artist/blacksmiths. I have only played with it once in the forge, but it wasn't a big deal. Like everything else, you have to learn your material.

Some links for this topic:

http://www.artmetal....ssages/374.html
Aluminum Chart
Aluminum forgings from Scot Forge
Forging non-ferrous metals
Forging of Aluminum Alloys
Wendell August Forge's hand-hammered aluminum carries on 77-year tradition

#5 Archie Zietman

Archie Zietman

• Members
  • 490 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 09:30 PM

wow, I never knew it was actually forgeable! cool! You learn somethign new every day. :D

#6 Joseff

Joseff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 10:51 PM

Aluminum can be cold forged easily, there is usually no need to heat it. I am of course talking about plate aluminum. It will get brittle when over worked, but with a bit of care, you can do a lot with it.
Joseff

#7 Mike Turner

Mike Turner

• Members
  • 332 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 11:43 PM

I forge aluminum all the time I use the same methods as Rich Hale has described. If you take your eye off it for a second it will melt on you.
Mike Turner

www.turnerknives.com
http://www.iforgeiro...=1159&protype=1

#8 Brian C.

Brian C.

• Members
  • 251 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 02:05 PM

Dad always said that in order to torch weld or forge aluminum, 1st you buy 3 pieces-because you will burn up the first two learning when to stop heating. :)
\"getting old aint for sissies\"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users