I Forge Iron

New Tools frabjous day! Calloo Callay!

He chortled in his joy!
Hello.
Today my dad dropped me off at Home Depot, (my favorite store, where I have spent hours at a time) where I bought myse;f some new tools, and fitting-pipe things.
Firstly, I bought a big cold chisel, 1 foot long by 1/2 foot wide, which works beautifully, and is high carbon steel, so when it breaks I will make something fun out of it. My art teacher told me that if I ask the tool rentists, I can buy their scrap jackhammer bits (w-1) wicked cheap, I didn't have time, but I will go down again soon. I also got some sanding disks for my drill (I use them, because I have no belt sander, and they work fine) I also bought some chunky steel fittings, which I am bolting to my streetlamp, to majorly thicken the bottom of my forge, and which will be the tuyere pipe, and ash dump, in the style of a brakedrum forge. But the best thing was that they had, in the tools section, a single "2.5 pound Blacksmith's Hammer" it is crowned, and has a fuller on the back end, and a fiberglass handle, and everything. It is heavier than my normal forming hammer, but it is a pleasure to swing, and the fuller on the back means that I can draw out steel a (words edited) lot quicker and easier than before.
I will, for all this, not stop using my claw hammer, and my new forge will be mounted on my little red wagon, though at a more convenient height, though. :D

Words edited

Claw hammer... dangerous. Hit anvil -- hammer bounces -- claws go in your face. :) 2.5# is a good weight for a hammer in my opinion -- a little heavy if you're just starting out, but I can swing one for hours and I'm not in the best of shape (just skinny).

When I started, I used a 4.5# hammer. Because the days would sometimes last for ten or more hours, I learned how to swing the hammer efficiently. Using the same technique, I can use a sledge (choked up on the handle), in the same form. I also do not advocate impact absorbing hammer handles and the like.
Whenever I have a student who cannot swing the hammer using the correct form, I have some soft wood or sheets of lead to pound on. After about one minute, the students usually have an epiphany and instantaneously use the hammer sorrectly.
It is much easier to learn how to use a heavy hammer and then use a lighter one for appropriate work, than the other way around.
I also use cheapo hammers, as it is easier to replace a hammer from whatever mistake may happen, than to replace my P.W..

• 1 month later...