I Forge Iron

Greetings from Orlando, FL

Hello everyone.

My name is John Thorpe and I reside in Orlando, FL with wife and kids. I'm just starting out now with knifemaking and am completely inexperienced.
I'm using stock removal methods until learning to forge. I am highly interested in forging especially since it is so easy to build one. I have a friend that has a large brake drum forge built into a table, and he is going to gift it to me. I appreciate that this site is available and the openness and friendliness that posters and responders have shown. I have much to learn.
If anyone is based in the Orlando, FL or central FL area, and would be willing to have a guest observer sometime, please let me know. I know of no workshops or training provided in my area.

Thanks everyone,

jt

Welcome aboard John, glad to have ya.

There's plenty of info about building forges, forging and finishing blades, metallurgy of blades and knowledgeable guys to pump for info.

One thing to be aware of though is the second largest demographic of reasons for getting into blacksmithing for blacksmithing's sake are folk who just wanted to make a tool for their "real" pursuit. Forging is addictive, once you're hooked you're in it for good.

Frosty

Hello everyone.

My name is John Thorpe and I reside in Orlando, FL with wife and kids. I'm just starting out now with knifemaking and am completely inexperienced.
I'm using stock removal methods until learning to forge. I am highly interested in forging especially since it is so easy to build one. I have a friend that has a large brake drum forge built into a table, and he is going to gift it to me. I appreciate that this site is available and the openness and friendliness that posters and responders have shown. I have much to learn.
If anyone is based in the Orlando, FL or central FL area, and would be willing to have a guest observer sometime, please let me know. I know of no workshops or training provided in my area.

Thanks everyone,

jt

Hi JT,
FABA is a great group and I think you'll get a lot out of joining. They have monthly meetings in four different regions of the state. Your closest would be either the SW or the NE region.
Florida Artist Blacksmith Association

you JUST MISSED a killer meeting at the BOK tower(local for you). Which houses many wonderful examples of Yellin's work. AND as a bonus...George Dixon did a demo. fwiw, he worked at the Yellin shop.

look forward to meeting you at a future FABA meeting.
happy hammering,
bill
PS....if your ever in the Ocala area, give me a call come by the shop.