I Forge Iron

Hi...From the Midwest

swordsmith

Hi... My name is Jeff, and I am new to this site. I am 24 years old, living in Kansas City, MO. I just signed up to the site before writing this post. I am trying to learn more about the trade in Blacksmithing. I have always been interested in learning it, but just have not yet. I am going to look into taking a Blacksmithing workshop here within the next month or so. Slots are very limited, so I am trying to get the first available. I have been wondering if this would be a career field, or more of a hobby field. I am open to any advice, comments, or suggestions. I really appreciaite any and all feedback. Thank you so much! :)

Edited by swordsmith

Welcome aboard Jeff, glad to have ya.

Blacksmithing as a career is a pretty risky proposition, not that there aren't a lot of guys out there doing just that. Still, trying to break into it as a pro from a beginner's status is really swimming upstream.

My advice is to keep the day job while you learn the craft and develop a niche you can fill. If that works out then transitioning to a full time occupation is more likely to be successful.

If you'll click "User CP" at the top of the page and edit your profile to show your location folk won't have to try remembering where you are and can invite you to get togethers, tip you to tool deals and lend you a hand directly.

Frosty

Welcome
I second what frosty said about keeping the day job
blacksmithing looks a lot easier than it is
Blacksmith Assoc of MO has its annual conference Apr 30 may 1/2 at the State Fair grounds in Sedalia. Last year they had over 400 there.
They have a very active group of talented freindly individuals
they are at Blacksmiths Association of Missouri : ABANA affiliate.