I Forge Iron

Another new Feller

Brian D

Hello all,

I stumbled across this site while just browsing the internet today and decided to join.

I have a little background in metalwork and machining. I worked on several dairy farms when younger and still in junior high and high school and learned to work on equipment and make impromptu repairs. I also took welding and machining and automotive/farm mechanics courses in school.

Shortly after finishing high school, I worked as an industrial maintenance technician / machinist for 11 years and was very fortunate to learn the trade from some very seasoned and knowledgeable folks.

I have currently spent the last 9 years working on an engineering team for an automotive safety products company. I, along with my team members are responsible for maintaining, designing, and improving production machinery and processes. I feel very fortunate to be able to have a career that I truly love and enjoy.

I became involved with shaping metal on the anvil through horseshoeing and shaping horse shoes. I spent many years learning how to trim and shoe horses by traveling around with several local farriers and helping out. I still shoe my own horses and those of a few friends, but do not offer these services "for hire".

I learned to enjoy working with metal at the anvil, and have decided to pursue this a little further. I have just recently finished building a 3 burner propane fired naturally aspirated forge, and I am very proud of how it turned out. I have managed to make a few projects already with it and have even made a few forge welds with it. (just playing around with old horse shoes)

I figure I will just linger around here and pick up some tips if I can and just enjoy the company of other folks who love to beat on hot iron.

Oh, sorry for the long winded intro.

Welcome to the site!! Good to have you aboard!

It sounds like you're well on your way to joining the addiction. There are lots of great people here willing to help out any time you need it, so just ask.

Oh, and we would love to see pictures of your forge and work, we all LOVE pictures!!

Welcome to the site!! Good to have you aboard!

It sounds like you're well on your way to joining the addiction. There are lots of great people here willing to help out any time you need it, so just ask.

Oh, and we would love to see pictures of your forge and work, we all LOVE pictures!!

Thanks for the welcome. I have some pics of the forge posted on another thread. I'll copy it here and see if it works.

http://www.iforgeiron.com/forum/f7/my-new-propane-forge-10253/

enjoy.