I Forge Iron

Wood chisel with socket style handel

I was wondering if anyone had some advice on how to form a handle socket on a wood chisel. I was thinking of shouldering at the base of the handle and drawing the metal in to a fan shape and then rolling this into the socket.

Are there other easier ways? Welding is not an option for me.

thanks

I think this is a reasonable route to take.

Remember that if you do not want any gap at the base of your cone when you round it up, you must spread the base of the fan shape to your cone to the circumference that you desire. This is generally the same as the shaft at that point.
For example.
If you would like a 3/8 shaft at the transition point, then you will have to spread the base of the cone out to at least pi x 3/8 = 3 x 3/8 = 1 1/8 wide.

I think this is a reasonable route to take.

Remember that if you do not want any gap at the base of your cone when you round it up, you must spread the base of the fan shape to your cone to the circumference that you desire. This is generally the same as the shaft at that point.
For example.
If you would like a 3/8 shaft at the transition point, then you will have to spread the base of the cone out to at least pi x 3/8 = 3 x 3/8 = 1 1/8 wide.

Wow, look at that! Real live math in action!
Thank you Thank you Thank you!
These are the "boring" little things that really do make life easier the first time around...