I Forge Iron

Railway metals?

Blacksmith537

I have a friend that works for the railway, he wants me to make a knife out of some metal he has picked up from work.
I know the properties of RR spikes, but this is springs off of couplers, and 1 1/2" pins that keep cars together.
I am color blind so spark test does not work real well for me.
Any suggestions as to the quality of these parts?
Any particular parts to look out for?
I can see the spring making some nice tooling like punches and small drifts,
would like others to share there wisdom.

Thanks.
Tim...

just quickly forge some of the stuff down then, just a few inch's long and grind a little edge. take a some of it and quench one in water and one in oil, temper them. if nether break then stick them in the vice and give a little tap, on the side, if one snaps pretty easy then that's not the quenching medium for the steel, it would probably be the water quenched one that breaks if one does, also try and look to make sure that theres not already a stress crack in the steel before you forge it. i have made a few knives out of some type of spring clips that come off the track or maybe the car, not totally sure, but it was some piece of steel from the rail way.

just a few inch's long and grind a little edge. take a some of it and quench one in water and one in oil, temper them.

I am guessing heat to non-magnetic?

Also I have never heard of someone color blind not being able to do spark testing. If there is alot of tungsten wont be much spark just dark red (in that I can see it being difficult.) Otherwise its looking at the stars of the sparks, how many there are, how they break, where they break, length of their tails, etc. And using a known to see how it performs. I would give it a try if you could as well as the heat treat test. Edited by Tald the dead

• 1 month later...