I Forge Iron

Forge Blower Identification

Cool Hand

My uncle gave me a forge blower that had been sitting in his barn for 20 years. I have no idea the make and model but I would really like to know. I tore the thing down, scraped off all the years and used hypoid gear oil for the internals and am soaking the rest in oil and will clean again shortly.

It has a "C" on each of the 2 oil plugs. It also has a raised "998" on one side and a "997" on the other.

There are a few more words but I won't know what they are till I get to scraping on it this weekend.

Any clues to identify this thing would be greatly appreciated. Sorry I have so little detail.

Steve

Depending on how clean it is, I would disassemble and check the gears, shafts, etc. Sounds like it has some years of build up on it, better to check the gear box. May be full of old, hard, nasty grease. If it is, clean it up well, fill it with the lube of your choice,nothing too heavy, and get cranking. There's scads of threads on here about blower lubrication. Do a search and many will pop up. Great advice from many competent smiths.