I Forge Iron

where can i get an anvil?

Well, you can buy off of E-bay but the prices( and the shipping) can be quite high. Going to local meets and flea markets can land you one as well. Older fabrication shops sometimes have them in a back room along with old machinery if they never disposed of it (rare to find anymore). Other blacksmiths can help greatly.....in fact if you are interested i have two anvils that i would like to get rid of. A 100 pound Vulcan in great shape and a 200 pound wilkinson wiht a broken off heel. Shoot me an email if you are interested.

weapon_store@hotmail.com

I already know that you could make a makeshift anvil out of railroad. but i would like to know where some have gotten there anvils so i have a idea were to go.

I'd start by asking family and friends, then move on to neighbors, ask around. You'd be surprised! Place a want ad in your local paper, look for them at farm auctions...

• 2 weeks later...

I've had exceptional luck at auctions. So far I've paid well less than a dollar a pound. I'm in south central PA near Harrisburg. I suspect you might have similar luck where you are.

Also there is a great antique store out here that caters to blacksmith (and the prices are fairly reasonable). If you're interested PM me and I'll get you information.

I might also have either 2 approximately 140 lb or a 170 pound (I think) for sale, if you are interested in making a road trip...again PM me if you're interested.

Pam

I will agree with Dennis on this one. Mention to EVERYONE that you are getting into smithing and ask if anyone knows of an anvil and other tools that might be had. I mean everyone. Dr Barber, Doc, grocery cleck family freinds. Stop at estate sales, Go into your towns older industrial area and see if any of the business used to have blacksmith repair shop ( you will be suprised as to what all business has smiths). And be pateint. I waited 3 years and finally ran across one a PW 149 lber for 67 cents ( UDS) a pound

Ralph

Most any *old* industrial plant had a smithing shop as part of it. I've tracked down ones in Sugar refinerys, glass manufacturers, even a hospital---even got to talk to the guy who was their orthapedic blacksmith, he made all sorts of weird splints and things during WWII to help out folks who had severe injuries and needed "just the right size and shape" piece to hold them together while healing. (BTW the old OSU hospital is supposed to still have a 250 pound anvil in a sub basement from those days...)

I went to an auction of a car repair place---ad said they had been in business in the same location since 1919, they had a complete smithing set up there buried in a corner, the anvil and swage block went high I bought the 200# post vise for $50...

Picked up a Hay Buden anvil at a plumbing-HVAC company that was shutting down, they had moved to the "new" building in the 1940's and took along the forge and anvil...

Asking is the way to find them cheap; my main shop anvil (500# Fisher) was found by talking with a fellow at the fleamarket---he was selling greasy car parts but his uncle had an anvil he wanted to sell for $350. One fellow had a hardy mixed in with some plumbing parts---I bought it and asked where the anvil was, later that day I picked up a mint 100# Vulcan that had been "too heavy to haul to the fleamarket" I bought it for $1 a pound and sold it for $1.50 a pound that same day---I'm not a big fan of Vulcans even with *SHARP* edges and an unused face.

The next aspect is you need to have the money ready. Most great deals have a half life of hours if not minutes. Don't go hunting stuff if you can't buy it on the spot---you will just be unhappy when the deal goes to someone else! (and be able to move it if you buy it!)

Thomas

Boy isn't that the truth....never run a wanted add till you have plenty of cash on hand.You will be shocked at the replies that might come your way.That from experance.Too if just one person runs an anvil for sale add....it can start of phopia of people with anvils in their barns are garages they can't pick up, and can't figure out what to do with them or their valve.

lee

One fellow had a hardy mixed in with some plumbing parts---I bought it and asked where the anvil was, later that day I picked up a mint 100# Vulcan that had been "too heavy to haul to the fleamarket" I bought it for $1 a pound and sold it for $150 a pound that same day---I'm not a big fan of Vulcans even with *SHARP* edges and an unused face.

Thomas

WOW 150.00 a pound! you are the re-sale KING. :)

Ralph

At the Men's breakfast at Church yesterday one of the older fellows mentioned he had an anvil he wasn't using anymore---retired rancher most likely I'll see if he'll donate it to the Metal Arts program at the local University. (4 people were there including me)

Talked with a fellow at the fleamarket who bought a place that had burned out---he has two anvils found buried in the dirt. Currently doesn't want to part with them.

So in a town of 9000 people in 2 days not going out of my ordinary ways I've tracked down 3 anvils---besides the 3 ASO's at the farm implement auction today.

Thomas