I Forge Iron

need ideas for coal forge

ironcreations

I need some ideas, I need to rebuild my forge for a couple reasons, first its old and wore out. next, I need to for some things I now do. what I am wanting to come up with is something like a gas forge but coal. what i have now is about 12" square, that tapers down about 12" deep. it is a bottom blast. What I need is one that is about 18" long, that will heat evenly the entire length. so i was thinking about some kind of difuser so there is no cold spots. I know I could use gas, but I like coal. I need it deep also as I will be doing welding mostly. The next problem I can see is I use a side draft hood, I can see my shop will be smokey if it is that long. I'M not sure how to fix that problem. maybe I can figure that out as I go. any ideas would be great. bottom blast, side blast? I have been doing my thing for a while now, so I am kinda out of the loop so to speak, on forge ideas, and such. I am in a heated shop, and work full time in it. I say this because if there is any ideas of water cooled somethings it would be OK. thanks for your alls time....Jeff

Lots of ideas, but... not all that read a post are able to help.

OK side draft. Whats wrong with the 18 inch run parallel to the opening of the draft?

I have a 17x17 pot for my forge, draw is no problem, I dont see how 1 more inch would effect that. I also made an adapter for a long pipe to convert that into a 40 inch long fire pot heating the blade for Heat treat.

but that DOES smoke up the shop a bit, I should add I also have a exhaust fan in the ceiling,, when I tested it, cleared the shop air in 20 seconds.

just out of interest here, couldnt you do something similar to the lively knives for but have the black pipe and holes on the side ?then your clinker will settle in the fines and ash and all you do is let him cool down and scoop him out in one lump as he(it) has settled in the ash which is free with no sticking and clogging? it just takes some ash out too no biggey,,
there is a coupla problems one is the heart will be pretty xxxx close to the tue pipe so you gotta be able to slide in quite close to that,
also there is the whole water cooled thing with the side draft ,, or you could gamble like me and just drill holes into fire bricks and use them instead of any steel pipe , working good so far (fingers crossed)

Thanks, I measured again today and i am with you guys, 18" out should not be a big problem, i have a good draft. I lit off some paper to test it and it drafted good with that. not to say heavier coal smoke would do the same, but it was worth the shot. mine is 12" out now to the outer edge, my flue is 12"x12" and extends 6 foot over the roof peak. I was thinking today about a ajustable pot, like what if I made it out of right angles, 12" at the top, and taper down, so the front could slide front to back as needed, it could save fuel for smaller jobs. The problem would be the air coming in how to regulate that, or make it so it would be even across the bottom. This itself presents a problem if it is adjustable.. with one round hole in the bottom, it dont really seem like it matters the size of the box, as it is only hot in that spot. I cant show a drawing now as I am in the house and not the shop, I can show a CAD drawing later.

also, I saw the Charcoal forge plans, and it gave me some ideas, thanks for the link. i also like the drilling holes in the fire bricks, this is what i need is ideas to get me thinking. I notice some people asking what size forge should I get questions, thats why I was thinking adjustable, what if you made a trough like in the bottom, kinda like a upside down square "U" shape, blow air in from the sides of the flat sides.. then I was thinking about one of those corn burnig stoves how the have a worm gear, making something like that for a clinker breaker. except that wouldnt work, as you couldnt seal it on the ends. well thats where I am at now.

the idea of square trough like shape is good man the idea of air in both sides as i tried it bofere is also good however as i said the heart will stay close to the bricks on either side (well thats what happend with me) so i ended up with two long hearts with cold running the centre so i was just caining fuel and destroyed it hahaha,, erm but it would work if the trough was very narrow however then you will be limited to what you can stick in it,, and as for adjustable you could always slap a lump of clay in the holes of the firebricks to adjust it like the washtub forge , i would stick to the one side myself, having tried and failed,, but it was a good plan, as for a clinker breaker you wont need one with the trough design as long as you have a couple of inches below your inlet holes on the side then just put some ash and fines in the bottom and the clinker will settle in that,, let him cool down and scoop him out of the ash in one lump, all the time you still have air coming in the sides and theres no mess!! though every now and then you gotta clean the buildup of ash in the bottom but its no probs as you want some in there. when i tried the double sided blast i had a mad idea about putting a large tube through the bottom of the forge with a big hole in it,, and then a secondary pipe that fitted into that with a hole that would line up,, idea was that the clinker ran into the central pipe then i turned the central pipe 180 degrees which would seal any more fuel from dropping out then slide the pipe out the front and clinker should drop at my feet with a tap or something,, probably clog up and stuff though and the forge didnt work anyway and i smashed the beast up:) heh good luck