I Forge Iron

How to goof up the economy

Hi. If this post is not appropriate for the welding category, feel free to move it.

I got a cutting torch tip along with a couple of cutting attachments on Ebay. It is Uniweld type 3 (Victor medium) 00 size. Unfortunately, it is acetylene, and I only have oxypropane. I used to have a B tank, but I was worried about explosion hazard, and anyway, I got sick of paying high refill prices. Could only sell it for $40 on Craigslist, but I am sure that the replacement cost would be higher. I hate paying nearly $50 for a refill. I heard that there are only 2 places in Northern California where acetylene tanks are refilled, and that is why it is so high. No way am I paying that, especially in this bad economy.

So, when I needed to cut some 3/16" fab drops, I looked at the tip and wished it was a propane tip. I went to the welding store and asked for the propane version. It was a Victor, special order and $29. No way I am paying that, especially in this bad economy.

I complained a little about the price, noting it was not their fault. Then, I remembered that I had one of those silly Bernzomatic oxy-mapp torches which someone figured out wasted money for the non-refillable oxygen and ended up selling for $2 at a garage sale. I figured that it would come in useful, and this was the day! :) I also had a couple of yellow disposable MAPP tanks that I had donated to a CBA workshop, but they came back to me half full. Now, I heard that MAPP gas would fire an acetylene one piece tip. In fact, some MAPP tips are one piece. So, I asked for an adapter from B left to hose barb. They did not have that, but they had a B left to 1/4 MPT. They told me that I could go to Home Depot and get an adapter to connect to tubing. Home Depot did not have a 1/4 FPT to hose barb. They had the male fitting, so I would have to buy a 1/4 FPT to 1/4 FPT coupler. This meant three stupid :mad: adapters to mate the B left to my Bernzomatic hose. Two adapters at Home Depot costed $5. No way am I paying that, especially in this bad economy.

I decided to go home and sulk for awhile, and think of my over-consumptive ways. Shortly later, I noticed a bicycle pump fitting that rotted off an old bicycle pump that I bought at a garage sale. The brass barb was still good :D. I pressed it out and used silver bearing solder to solder it to the welding adapter. It worked just great, as did the cutting tip on MAPP gas. I was good to go on the thin stuff.

In the attached picture, you can see the old acetylene tip, now doing duty as a MAPP tip, the soldered adapter, and the pressed out schrader fitting that is no longer needed (might be able to use this somewhere).

As I thought this adventure over, I realized that even a tight fellow like me (still working my way up to Thomas, a guy can hope, can't he?), can cut back a lot. This is scary. There is still a lot of fat in the system. If I can cut my expenses by 5-10%, a 3.8% cut is nothing. It is only the beginning.

11049.attach

Hi fellas. Lot's of good points. I checked on Ebay as well. The problem with my situation is that I have the medium handle (type 3). It is harder to find genuine tips for LP. There is an Ebay store selling Chinese knock-off tips for $5 with low shipping, but they do not sell 00 size. I would really rather not buy the imported tips.

As for the waste of time and gas, azIronSmith, you are exactly right! :) That is kind of my point. I am old enough to remember the Great Depression, and a lot of people did silly things for reason of the economy. It was the same I heard, but probably worse, for the German depression which had terrible worldwide consequences. Anyway, I don't think that I wasted gas (gasoline :)), since I went to a meeting a block away from the welding store, and I needed that adapter anyway. The other trips were "on the way" trips. But I did waste a lot of time. My rationale is, who cares, my craft and commission income has crashed into oblivion in the last year. So, I can afford to do silly and somewhat unproductive things with my time, since there is no money coming in anyway. That is how economies crash.