I Forge Iron

old guy -- hot coal ,

hot coal

Hello All , just starting out again got the tools an all, I an from lafayette , ind , But can not find any coal around here any more last place quit years ago farm co-op , I cant travel to far useing oxygen full time so any great distance is out , maybe 75 miles is my range , i know there are coal mines in southern indiana an on the west side to but not sure how they sell it bags or truck loads , may have to use charcoal instead , bummer , Does any one know where ii may find some close by ??? Thanks for the warm welcome still feeling my way around here ,

You indicated using oxygen. coal dust and fumes aren't gonna help much, have you considered propane. It's much cleaner and faster. zoeller forge tells how to build a real nice gas forge. All the parts are available so you won't have to travel. I know how it is to be limited. Start small or build one to suit the size u want. With propane you can have hot metal in 5 minutes and shut it off at will. Safer without having to build a chimney and worry about too much dirt and dust.