I Forge Iron

Forging a big shaft

Hi, Roger. Do you do the machining afterward? What is the steel type? Did you have an original pattern to make the swages? Or did you make the first one yourself to make the swages? Which hammer is that one?

I like your pictures of transferring control of the tongs. You obviously work well together.

Are your forges gas or oil? (They look like gas)

Thanks again for sharing.

I get the gist. Start with a whopping great piece of hot stuff, get it under a whopping great hammer with the aid of whopping great pairs of tongs and let it rip. Eh presto a shaft.

I agree with comments re the saftey glasses...and for "Volvo" of all manufacturers :wink: Are the parking lights on the hammer kept on day and night? :D

And I totally concur with comments about the nature of the work. Jolly well done...keep up the good work and the posts. Great stuff...love to see more

I wish to thank you for the pics of your shop and for taking the time out of your day to post this. Your knowledge is very useful and well recieved here in my small production shop. Perhaps I can return the favor sometime. Welcome aboard.

Steve ( Ten Hammers ) O'Grady
Leprechaun Forge
Bloomfield, Iowa U.S.A.

Roger: Thanks for the answers. Your spelling and English grammar is bettern than most of us!

I should have recognized the soot on the forge doors as evidence that you burn diesel oil, not gas. :)

Do you normally fit your swages with springs, or just hinges? I see the main one is a top and bottom tool separated, right? But the one for the shaft looks like it is joined at the operator's end.

Yes you notice that right.
The reson for that is, if you fit springs on the big swages you will not be able to lift the tool up on the dies because they been to heavy.
This swages weigh nearly 30kilos each

And another reason is, lets say , after ten hit with the hammer you hawe to lift the shaft and the swages to blow away slag (is that the right word ??) in the lower swages so the surface will be good.

Roundbar swages is fitted with springs up to about 70mm.

Roger